boil or broil
Read and write words with the -oi vowel pattern.
- Pictures of vegetables*
- Word-building cards*
- Word cards*
- Make a Choice to Boil or Broil target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will make a choice to boil or broil vegetables and will read and write words containing the
-oi pattern, such as boil, broil, foil, spoil, soil, and choice.
Pull vegetables from the soil before they spoil
- Place the pictures of the vegetables (found below) in a pretend garden.
- Tell the children that they will pull vegetables to use from the soil so that they don’t spoil.
- Pretend to wash soil off the vegetables.
Have the children write the words soil and spoil and emphasize that they both have the -oi vowel combination.
Make a choice to boil or broil vegetables
- Write choice on the board and point out that the word choice has the -oi vowel pattern.
- Explain that the -ce spelling at the end of choice makes the /s/ sound.
- Invite the children to make a choice to boil or broil the vegetables that came from the soil. The children will either . . .
- Write boil and say, “My choice is to boil”.
- Write broil and say, “My choice is to broil.”
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing either the beginning or ending consonant(s):
- Change the beginning consonant(s): soil→ spoil; boil→ broil; foil→ coil
- Change the ending consonant: coil→ coin
Read target words in texts
- Read the Make a Choice to Boil or Broil target text (found below) to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the target text with you.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Ask the children to listen for -oi words as you read the text together.
- Have the children make a list of the words with the -oi vowel pattern in the text.
Write about the activity using target words
- Pass out a word card (found below) to each child.
- Invite them to write a sentence using the target word on the word card (help as needed).
- Have the children take turns sharing their sentences
SEEL Target Texts
Make a Choice to Boil or Broil
We did not want the vegetables to spoil.
We washed the soil off the vegetables.
We made a choice to boil or broil the vegetables.
We liked making choices to boil or broil food!
Boil or Broil