Read and write words that contain the -oi and -oy vowel combinations; recognize both spellings as having the same pronunciation.
- A coin
- Game signs
- Word cards
- Toy graphics
- A Coin to Join an Enjoyable Game target text
State and Model the Objective
The children will join a game with a coin and then read and write words that have the -oi and -oy vowel pattern such as coin, join, enjoy, and annoy.
Make a choice
- Write choice on the board and point out that the word choice has the -oi vowel pattern.
- Explain that the -ce spelling at the end of choice makes the /s/ sound.
- Set up the materials and sign for each game (Coil a String, Toss a Coin, and Flip a Coin) in different areas of the room.
- Explain that the children will pay a coin to join one game: Coil a String, Toss a Coin, and Flip a Coin.
- Show the children the three games and have them read the signs for each game.
- Tell the children to make a choice about which game to join with their coin.
- Have the children give you a coin to join a game, and tell them to enjoy their choice.
Coil a String
- Have the children coil different sizes of strings and time how long it takes them to coil the different-sized pieces.
- Show the children how to use the pieces of string to form the letters in the vowel combinations -oi and -oy.
- Allow the children to try.
Toss a Coin
- Cut out the word cards and spread them out on the floor or leave the word cards in the grid.
- Invite a child to toss a coin onto a word.
- Have the class read the word or the word that is closest to the coin.
- Repeat to allow other children to participate.
Flip a Coin for a Toy
- Set out two small toys (or toy graphics) and label them Toy 1 and Toy 2.
- Show the children the two sides of the coin and explain that one side is called heads and the other is called tails.
- Explain that they will flip the coin in order to see which toy they’ll hold.
- Have the children flip the coin and find the toy that matches the coin’s side.
- Repeat the game with other toys (optional).
Sort words into categories by their spelling
- Mix the word cards up.
- Have the children sort the words into categories according to the -oi and -oy spellings.
- Invite the children to read the words from both categories.
- Emphasize that the two different spellings are pronounced the same in all of the words.
Read target words in texts
- Read the A Coin to Join an Enjoyable Game target text to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the target text with you.
- Ask the children to listen for -oi and -oy words as you read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children make a list of the words with the -oi and -oy vowel patterns in the text.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Instruct the children to write about what they did in the activities
- Have them include choice, coin, coil, join, toy, enjoy, boy.
SEEL Target Texts
A Coin to Join an Enjoyable Game
Pay a coin to join the game.
Toss a coin on words like joy and join.
Flip a coin to make the hard choice of which toy to get.
Coil a rope as fast as you can.
Oh boy! Enjoy the game that you got to join with a coin!
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.B: Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
Join and Enjoy the Game