Goop and Goo
Read and write words with the long u vowel pattern –oo (e.g., goo, spoon).
- Goo (made from water and flour OR water and corn starch)
- Gooey chips that melt in warm water (e.g., packing chips or chips made with cornstarch) (optional)
- Hula hoop
- Picture/word cards (see below)
- Droopy Goop target text (see below)
- Make Room for Goop target text (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will make goo and they will read and write words with the vowel combination –oo: goo, goop, spoon, poof, choose, woo hoo, boo hoo.
Practice the skill within an activity
- Pretend to be goo
- Read the words on the picture cards (see below) together with the children.
- Point out that all of the words are spelled with the long u vowel pattern –oo.
- Set out a hula hoop on the ground and scatter the picture cards around the room.
- Say, “Goo!” and allow the children to pretend to be goo by drooping their arms, hands, and head while moving around the room.
- Have the children gather the picture cards as they move around the room like goo.
- Say, “No more goo!” and have the children bring the picture cards to the hula hoop.
- Help the children read the word on each picture card and have them place the cards inside the hula hoop.
- Make goo and goop
- Cover the tables, floors, and children’s clothing with newspaper or plastic (optional).
- Explain to the children than they will get to make goo or goop.
- Show the gooey chips soaked in warm water as an example of “goo” (optional).
- Put the cornstarch (4 oz.) in a bowl and gradually pour in the water (1/2 cup).
- Give the children spoons and let them mix the mixture until it is thick and goopy.
- Let the children watch the goop droop off of the spoon.
- Have the children use the spoon to write words spelled with –oo (i.e., moo, boo, goop, room, poof).
Apply the skill (Choose from the activities below)
- Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the target text Droopy Goo (see below) together with the group.
- Have the children make a list of the words from the text spelled with –oo.
- Read the text again fading support.
- Repeat with the target text Make Room for Goop (see below).
- Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Make a word wall (or use one previously created) of words from the activity spelled with –oo (i.e., face, lace, trace, pace, race)
- Have the children write about goop using words from the word wall.
SEEL Target Texts
How do we make goop?
Add water and poof!
Make goopy, gooey goo.
Use a spoon to move the goo.
Watch the goo droop off the spoon.
It’s fun to play with droopy goopy goo!
Make Room for Goop
Do you choose to make goo or goop?
Do you choose to make some gooey goop?
Make something that feels gooey and goopy.
Make some goo or goop or gloop.
Add water – and poof!
Soon you have goo and goop!
Is the goop not gooey yet? Boo hoo!
Spoon the goop and gloop.
Spoon the goop and make it droop off the spoon.
Give a hoot and a toot for goop and gloop.
Whoo hoo!! We have gooey goop!
Goop and Goo