Blooms and Brooms in Rooms
- Pictures of blooming flowers*
- Picture of a broom or the cutout broom*
- Picture of a balloon*
- Word-building cards*
- Put Blooms in Rooms target text*
- Put Balloons in Rooms target text*
- Zoom around the Room target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will use brooms and blooms to brighten up rooms and then will read words with the long -oo, such as bloom, zoom, gloomy, and roomy.
Pick blooms and place them in rooms
- List words on the board that have the long -oo as in soon, zoom, vroom, room, broom, boom, bloom, and gloom.
- Place the pictures of blooming flowers (found below) around the room.
- Have the children zoom around the room, pick a bloom, and then return to their seats.
Make a map of rooms
- Let the children make and label a map of rooms: bed room, bath room, back room, store room, play room, living room, dining room, and junk room.
- Invite the children to draw a bloom, broom, or balloon in each room.
- Have the children write words on their room drawings from dictation (e.g., soon, room, bloom, boo, zoom).
Make a paper broom and write words on the broom
- Let the children draw a broom or cut out a paper broom (found below).
- Let the children pretend to use the brooms to clean the room.
- Have the children write words on the broom (e.g., zoom, room, broom, bloom).
Clean up rooms with brooms
- Label areas of the class room as bath room, lunch room, store room, wash room, and class room.
- Have the children zoom around from room to room while sweeping up with a broom.
- Display the example picture of a balloon (found below) and ask the children to draw it and label it balloon.
- Let each child place a bloom, their balloon drawing, and their broom in a few rooms.
Read target words in a text
- Read the target text Put Blooms in Rooms (found below) to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the target text with you.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children underline the words with the long -oo sound.
- Repeat with the Put Balloons in Rooms target text (found below).
- Repeat with the target text Zoom Around the Room (found below).
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing the beginning or ending consonant(s):
- Change the beginning consonant(s): bloom→ broom, broom→ gloom, zoom→ boom, room→ soon
- Change the ending consonant: room→ roof, boom→ boot, loom→ loop
Write about the activity using target words
- List words with the long -oo (e.g., bloom, zoom, broom, room, gloom, gloomy, roomy, soon, too).
- Ask the children to write sentences using these words.
SEEL Target Texts
Put Blooms in Rooms
Put Balloons in Rooms
Zoom around the Room
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Blooms and Brooms in Rooms