Read and write words with the long -oo vowel pattern.
- Pictures of blooming flowers*
- Picture of a broom or the cutout broom*
- Picture of a balloon*
- Word-building cards*
- Put Blooms in Rooms target text*
- Put Balloons in Rooms target text*
- Zoom around the Room target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will use brooms and blooms to brighten up rooms and then will read words with the long -oo, such as bloom, zoom, gloomy, and roomy.
Pick blooms and place them in rooms
- List words on the board that have the long -oo as in soon, zoom, vroom, room, broom, boom, bloom, and gloom.
- Place the pictures of blooming flowers (found below) around the room.
- Have the children zoom around the room, pick a bloom, and then return to their seats.
Make a map of rooms
- Let the children make and label a map of rooms: bed room, bath room, back room, store room, play room, living room, dining room, and junk room.
- Invite the children to draw a bloom, broom, or balloon in each room.
- Have the children write words on their room drawings from dictation (e.g., soon, room, bloom, boo, zoom).
Make a paper broom and write words on the broom
- Let the children draw a broom or cut out a paper broom (found below).
- Let the children pretend to use the brooms to clean the room.
- Have the children write words on the broom (e.g., zoom, room, broom, bloom).
Clean up rooms with brooms
- Label areas of the class room as bath room, lunch room, store room, wash room, and class room.
- Have the children zoom around from room to room while sweeping up with a broom.
- Display the example picture of a balloon (found below) and ask the children to draw it and label it balloon.
- Let each child place a bloom, their balloon drawing, and their broom in a few rooms.
Read target words in a text
- Read the target text Put Blooms in Rooms (found below) to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the target text with you.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children underline the words with the long -oo sound.
- Repeat with the Put Balloons in Rooms target text (found below).
- Repeat with the target text Zoom Around the Room (found below).
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing the beginning or ending consonant(s):
- Change the beginning consonant(s): bloom→ broom, broom→ gloom, zoom→ boom, room→ soon
- Change the ending consonant: room→ roof, boom→ boot, loom→ loop
Write about the activity using target words
- List words with the long -oo (e.g., bloom, zoom, broom, room, gloom, gloomy, roomy, soon, too).
- Ask the children to write sentences using these words.
SEEL Target Texts
Put Blooms in Rooms
Put Balloons in Rooms
Zoom around the Room
Blooms and Brooms in Rooms