go zoom on a spooky ride
Read and write words with the vowel combination
- Word-building cards*
- Cow, ghost, dove, and owl pictures*
- Roller-coaster picture*
- A Spooky Ride target text*
- Wahoo! I Like to Zoom Around Too! target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will make sounds as they go on a spooky ride and then read and write words with -oo, such as wahoo, whoosh, woo, and toot.
Read a list of sounds we can make
- Write the following words that contain the -oo vowel combination so that the children can see.
- choo choo
- Point out that all the words have the long oo sound and then help the children read the list aloud.
Make sounds to go with a spooky roller-coaster ride
- Invite the children to pretend to go on a spooky roller-coaster ride.
- Display the roller-coaster car picture as you and the children act out and make sounds for the following activities:
- The ride is about to begin: toot toot
- The engine starts up: vroom
- The ride goes fast: zoom
- The car goes down the track: choo choo
- You see a big hill: wahoo!
- You go fast down the hill: whoosh!
- A ghost pops out: boo!
- You tell the ghost to go away: shoo
- The ride stops quickly: kaboom
- You finish the ride and get off: wahoo!
- You feel a little woozy: woo!
- You can’t go again: boo-hoo!
Animal sounds on a spooky ride
- Put the pictures of the owl, dove, and cow in a small box and pretend that it is a roller-coaster car.
- Let the children take turns making the car zoom and whoosh up and down.
- Have the rest of the children make owl (“hoo”), dove (“coo”), and cow (“moo”) sounds as they pretend to react to the turns of the roller-coaster car.
- Have one of the children make the ghost picture pop out and say, “Boo!” and let the other children react (“Shoo!”).
- Read the A Spooky Ride target text (see below) with the children, then have them take turns underlining and saying the long oo sound like a ghost.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (see below), have the children make new words by changing the beginning or ending consonant(s):
- Change the beginning consonant(s): boo→ moo; coo→ too; choo→ shoo; hoot→ loot; loom→ room; zoom→ vroom
- Add an ending consonant: boo→ boot; coo→ coop; moo→ moon
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Engage the children in writing about the roller-coaster ride using the following words: choo choo, woo-hoo, wahoo, toot, whoo, whoosh, woo, zoom, and kaboom.
- Have the children write words from dictation (e.g., boo, too, choo, shoo, vroom, zoom).
- Read the Wahoo! I Like to Zoom Around Too! target text (see below) with the children.
- Read the text again, fading support.
SEEL Target Texts
Wahoo! I Like to Zoom Around Too!
A Spooky Ride
Go Zoom on a Spooky Ride