goop and goo
Read and write words with the long u vowel
- Flour or cornstarch
- Hoop or long string
- Spoon or scoop
- Cards with -oo words*
- Droopy Goop target text*
- Make Room for Goop target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will make goo and will read and write words with the long -oo: goo, goop, spoon, and scoop.
Pretend to be goo
- Read words with -oo with the children (e.g., loop, goop, goo, boo, hoop, scoop, spoon, poof, proof).
- Set a hoop or loop the long string on the ground and put word cards with the -oo vowel (found below) around the room.
- Say, “Goo!” and allow the children to pretend to be goo by drooping their arms and heads while moving around the room.
- Have the children gather the word cards as they move like goo.
- Say, “No more goo!” and have the children bring the cards to the hoop.
- Have the children read the words and place them inside the hoop or loop as they say “I put ___ in the hoop/loop.”.
Make goo and goop
- Show some goo or something gooey (e.g., cornstarch or flour in a little water).
- Let the children mix the mixture until it is goopy.
- Watch the goop droop off the spoon or scoop.
- Have the children write words spelled with -oo (e.g., moo, boo, goop, room, poof).
Read target words in texts
- Read the Droopy Goo target text (found below) together with the group.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Repeat with the Make Room for Goop target text (found below).
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Make a word wall with -oo words (e.g., goo, goop, gooey, scoop, spoon, droop, choose, proof, poof, loop, toot, hoot, boo hoo, woo-hoo).
- Have the children write about goop using words from the word wall.
SEEL Target Texts
Make Room for Goop
Goop and Goo