Shoo, You, Shoo
- Word-building cards*
- Sentence strips*
- Pictures of an owl, ghost, cat, and witch*
- Word signs*
- A Cow Goes Moo target text*
- Shoo, Spooks! target text*
- Who Says Boo? target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will make the sounds of cows, ghosts, and doves as they read and write words with -oo and -ew, such as moo, boo, mew, and flew.
Make -oo sounds
- Read the following text with the children and ask them to produce the -oo sounds.
A ghost says boo. Can you say boo too? Boo!
A cow says moo. Can you moo too? Moo!
A dove says coo. Can you coo too? Coo!
A cat says mew. Can you mew too? Mew!
I hear boo, moo, coo and mew!
- Emphasize that -oo and -ew are making the same long u sound.
Shoo away a spooky ghost
- Read and dramatize the Shoo, Spook! target text (found below) by acting it out with the pictures of an owl, ghost, cat, and witch (found below).
- Read the text again with the children, fading support when possible.
Guess who says boo, moo, or coo
- Show three children a moo, boo, or coo word sign (found below).
- Have the three children turn away from the group and take turns making their assigned sound: moo, boo, or coo.
- Let the other children say, “I hear boo. I hear moo. I hear coo too.”
- Have the children guess who made which sound (i.e., who said boo, who said moo, and who said coo).
- Let the children tell the ghost, cow, and dove to "shoo."
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing the beginning or ending consonant(s):
- Change the beginning consonant(s): boo→ moo; coo→ too; choo→ shoo; hoop→ loop; loom→ room; boom→ zoom
- Change the ending consonant: boo→ boom; coo→ coop; moo→ moon
Read target words introduced in the activity
- Read the Who Says Boo? target text (found below) together as a group.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children underline the -oo words.
- Repeat with the A Cow Goes Moo, and Shoo Spooks! target texts (both found below).
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Have the children write words from dictation (e.g., moo, boo, coo, too, shoo).
- Hand out the sentence frames (found below) and let the children fill in target words or phrases.
- A ghost says ____, and I can say _____ ______ (boo too).
- A dove says ____, and I can say ______ _____ (coo too).
- A train goes ____ ____, and I can say ____ ____ ____(choo choo too).
- A cow says ______, and I can say _____ ____ (moo too).
- A cat says _______, and I can say ______ ______ (mew too).
SEEL Target Texts
Who Says Boo?
A Cow Goes Moo
Shoo, You, Shoo