wahoo! i like that too!
Read and write words with the long u vowel pattern oo.
- Word-building cards with oo and consonants*
- Wahoo! I Like to Do That Too! target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will talk and write about things that they like to do and then read and write words with -oo, such as wahoo, cool, zoom, and toot.
Read a list of sounds we can make
- Write words that contain the long oo vowel on the board (e.g., proof, yahoo, soon, too, toot, hoot, zoom, balloon, shoo, cool, wahoo, zoo, achoo, whoosh).
- Point out that all the words have the long oo sound.
- Read the words from the list with the children.
Read and write a poem
- Discuss how much fun it is to tell others about what you like to do.
- Read the Wahoo! I Like to Do That Too! target text (found below) with the children.
- Brainstorm other common activities that the children like to do.
Write about things that are fun or interesting
- Have the children write their own list of things that they like to do and read it to a friend.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With the word-building cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing the beginning or ending consonant(s):
- Change the beginning consonant(s): boo→ moo; coo→ too; choo→ shoo; hoot→ loot; loom→ room; zoom→ vroom.
- Change the ending consonant: boo→ boot; coo→ coop; moo→ moon.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Let the children write about the things that they like to do using words with the long oo vowel, such as choo choo, woo-hoo, wahoo, toot, whoo, whoosh, woo, zoom, hoot, and kaboom.
- Have the children write words from dictation (e.g., boo, too, choo choo, shoo, vroom, zoom).
SEEL Target Texts
Wahoo! I Like to Do That Too!
Wahoo! I Like That Too!