Zoom Around the Room
- A paper broom cutout*
- Pictures of a car*
- Word-building cards*
- Zoom and Boom target text*
- Toy cars or trucks (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will pretend to zoom around a room as they read and write words with the long oo vowel, such as bloom, zoom, broom, and vroom.
Make a paper broom and write words on the broom
- Let the children draw a broom or cut out the paper broom (found below).
- Have the children write words on the broom, such as zoom, room, and broom.
- Ask the children to write the sentence, “Zoom around a room on a broom” on the back or handle of the broom.
Go places on a broom
- Tell the children that they need brooms (pretend or paper).
- Have the children make room to zoom on brooms.
- Let the children pretend to zoom around the room on a broom (i.e., gallop in place).
Zoom around in a car that goes vroom
- Tell the children to make room as they get in an imaginary car.
- Let the children make the vroom sound as they pretend to zoom around the room (i.e., sway back and forth or lean from side to side as they “turn corners”).
- Have the children make -oom racing sounds (e.g., zoom, vroom) as they pretend to be imaginary cars zooming around the room.
Let cars zoom around the room
- Let the children cut out the picture of a car (found below) or use a toy car to pretend to zoom around the room.
- Make more racing sounds as the cars zoom around the room.
- Pretend to let a few cars crash and make crashing sounds (e.g., kaboom, boom, sha-boom).
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing either the beginning or the ending consonant(s):
- Change the beginning consonant(s): boom→ zoom, room→ loom, vroom→ broom
- Change the ending consonant: room→ roof, boom→ boot, loom→ loop
Read target words and patterns introduced in texts
- Read the target text Zoom and Boom (found below) together.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children underline the words that end in -oom.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Have the children write words from dictation (e.g., zoom, vroom, room, broom, boom, bloom, gloom, doom).
- Display the words with the long oo vowel for the children to see.
- Have the children complete sentences, like the examples below, using words from the word wall:
- A race car goes ____(zoom, vroom).
- I like to ____(zoom) around the ____(room) on a ____(broom).
- I hear a car crash! It goes ____(boom).
SEEL Target Texts
Zoom and Boom
Start the cars!
Race the cars around the room.
The cars zoom around the room.
Two cars crash.
What gloom and doom!
Now the cars cannot zoom around the room!
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Zoom Around the Room