Hound from the Pound
- Home for a Hound sign*
- Dog Pound sign*
- Pictures of round shapes*
- A toy dog or a picture of a dog*
- Hound Found in the Pound target text*
*Items included below.
The children will look around for a hound that needs to be found and then read and write words that end in -ound, such as found, round, ground, hound, sound, bound, mound, and pound.
Look around for a hound
- Place the Dog Pound sign (found below) on a chair with the toy dog or the picture of a dog (also found below) near it.
- Place the cut out, round shapes (found below) on the ground leading to the Dog Pound sign.
- Explain that when a dog, sometimes called a hound, is found, the dog often gets taken to the pound.
- Let the children follow the round shapes that lead to the hound in the pound.
- Say, “Don’t make a sound as we listen for the hound.”
- Make a barking sound and say, “We must be close to the pound.”
- When the children get to the dog pound, say “We found the hound at the pound!”
Get the hound from the pound
- Take the dog from the pound and let the dog run round and round.
- Put the dog on a leash and comment on how the dog gets all wound up.
- Make the dog go round and round in the other direction so that it will not get wound up.
- Follow the round shapes on the ground until the hound gets to the Home for a Hound sign (found below) on a mound of blanket on the ground.
- Say, “We were bound to get home by following the round shapes found on the ground.”
Read and write target words
- Engage the children in reading the A Hound Found in the Pound target text (found below) with you.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children write -ound words from dictation.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Provide oral or written sentence frames for the children to complete:
- The ____ (hound) was not ____(found) on the ____(mound) of blankets on the ____(ground).
- We _____(found) some ____(round) shapes on the ____(ground).
- We followed the ____(round) shapes on the ____(ground) to the ____(pound).
- We ____(found) our ____(hound) in the ____(pound).
- We took our ____(hound) back to his ____(mound).
SEEL Target Texts
A Hound Found in the Pound
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.B: Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
Hound from the Pound