My Cow Can Bow
Read and write words spelled with the -ow vowel combination.
- Paper cow colored brown
- Green paper to serve as grass
- Picture of a tractor or plow
- How Do You Bow, Cow? target text
The children will help a cow take a bow and will read and write words with -ow, such as cow, bow, how, now, and wow.
Help a cow take a bow
- Give pairs or groups of children a paper cow.
- Have the children bend the cow to let the cow take a bow.
- Have the children make a sign that says, “Bow now, Cow!”
- Let the children take turns telling a cow how to bow and to bow now.
- Exclaim, “Wow! The cow can bow.”
- Let the cow teach the children how to bow.
Give a cow some chow
- Tell the children that the cow needs some chow (food).
- Show the children a picture of a plow (see graphics).
- Explain that a plow or a tractor digs in order to plant seeds for grass (chow for cows).
- Have the children pretend to plow, and let the green grass (paper) pop up.
- Have the children label the grass as chow, and let the brown cow chow down on the chow.
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the How Do You Bow, Cow? target text.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children take turns underlining the -ow combinations in the text.
- Divide the children into two groups to act out the text, one group being the cows and the other group learning to bow.
- Reverse roles and act the text out again, if desired.
Write about the activity using target words
- Have the children write words from dictation: now, how, cow, bow, wow, plow, chow, brown, clown, and down.
- Let the children write about what they did with the cow (e.g., My cow can take a bow. Wow! How can a cow bow? I tell the cow to take a bow, now).
- Let the children draw a brown cow and then write about the cow (e.g., The brown cow can take a bow. The brown cow likes to eat chow).
SEEL Target Texts
My Cow Can Take a Bow
I can teach her how to bow.
Take a bow, cow.
Can you bow?
My cow will teach you how.
Watch my cow take a bow.
Now you take a bow.
That’s some bow!
Now you can bow.
Wow! What a bow!
How Do You Bow, Cow?
I have a cow who can bow.
She can teach you how.
How do you bow, cow?
That’s how my cow can bow.
A Cow Who Needs Chow
How will we get the cow some chow?
We need to plow to get chow for the cow.
So we plow chow for the cow.
Now we have chow for the cow.
My Cow Can Bow