- Green paper
- Paper cow colored brown*
- Picture of a plow and tractor*
- How Do You Bow, Cow? target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will help a cow take a bow, and will read and write words with -ow, such as cow, bow, how, now, and wow.
Help a cow take a bow
- Give pairs or groups of children a paper cow.
- Have the children bend the cow to let the cow take a bow.
- Have the children make a sign that says, “Bow now, Cow!”
- Let the children take turns telling a cow how to bow and to bow now.
- Exclaim, “Wow! The cow can bow.”
- Let the cow teach the children how to bow.
Give a cow some chow
- Tell the children that the cow needs some chow (food).
- Show the children a picture of a plow and tractor (found below).
- Explain that a plow and tractor dig in order to plant seeds for grass (chow for cows).
- Have the children pretend to plow and let the green grass (paper) pop up.
- Have the children label the grass as chow and let the brown cow chow down on the chow.
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the How Do You Bow, Cow? target text (found below).
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children take turns underlining the -ow combinations in the text.
- Act out the text with some children being the cows and some learning how to bow.
Write about the activity using target words
- Have the children write words from dictation: now, how, cow, bow, wow, plow, chow, brown, clown, and down.
- Let the children write about what they did with the cow (e.g., "My cow can take a bow," "Wow! How can a cow bow?" "I tell the cow to take a bow, now").
- Let the children draw a brown cow and then write about the cow (e.g., "The brown cow can take a bow," "The brown cow likes to eat chow").
SEEL Target Texts
How Do You Bow, Cow?
My cow can teach you how to bow.
How do you bow, cow?
Look at my cow take a bow.
That’s how my cow can bow.
Now you bow.
Wow, what a bow!
Now you and my cow can bow.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.B: Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
My Cow Can Bow