- Turtle graphic
- Surfboard graphic
- A Turtle Can Surf target text
- The Turtle Likes to Surf target text
- Blue paper, cloth, or blanket (optional)
- Paper fan (optional)
- Surfer graphic (optional)
State and Model the Objective
The children will help a turtle surf and then read and write words spelled with -ur, such as turtle, surf, blur, hurt, and curl.
Learn to surf
- Make waves in an ocean by moving a slack piece of blue paper or cloth up and down.
- Explain that to surf means to ride on a wave with a surfboard.
- Ask the children if they have seen a surfer, then show them how to surf and let the children pretend to surf.
Help the turtle surf
- Attach the surfboard graphic to the turtle and tell the children that they will help the turtle surf.
- Let the children make a wave and move the turtle to make it surf.
- Have the children read the A Turtle Can Surf target text and enact the story with the cutouts.
- Move the paper turtle so fast that it is a blur.
Read target words in a text
- Read The Turtle Likes to Surf target text to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the target text with you.
- Have the children circle words spelled with -ur.
- Read the text again, fading support.
Word charades: write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Put the children in groups of four and give two word cards to each group.
- Have one child act out their word while the other children guess the word.
- Tell the children to pass the word card to the next group when it is finished so that the next group can act out the word.
- Ask if any groups would like to act out one of their words for the class to guess.
- Let the children write words as you say them: turtle, surf, blur, hurt, churn, turn, curl, hurl.
- Have the children write about the surfing turtle (e.g., “A turtle surfs. The waves curl and churn.”).
SEEL Target Texts
A Turtle Likes to Surf
The surfing turtle owns a surfboard.
The surfboard hurls through the water.
The waves curl and churn.
The surf makes the surfboard turn and churn.
The turtle surfs so fast that it looks like a blur.
A Turtle Can Surf
When it surfs, all you see is a blur.
The turtle is so fast!
It rides the waves that curl and churn.
I hope the turtle doesn't get hurt!
But it looks like fun. I'd like a turn!
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.B: Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
A Turtle Can Surf