Read words with two spellings for the long e sound (ee and ea).
- Creepy House graphic – three copies (see below)
- Animal graphics -- to hide behind Creepy House pictures (see below)
- Squeak and Creak target text -- one copy for each child (see below)
- Flashlight (optional)
State and model the objective
Tell the children that today they are going to feel, and creep, and sneak our way through a creaky, squeaking house. Explain to the children that they will be reading and writing words with the long e sound.
Practice the skill within an activity
- Sneak a peek
- Before starting the lesson, put pictures of the old creaky house around the room. Place the animal graphics behind the pictures of the old creaky house.
- Lead the the children to the first house as you sneak and creak along the way. (Optional variation: Turn out the lights and use a flashlight to take a sneak peek with.)
- Once you come to a house, have the children take a sneak peek at what is behind it. Allow them to take turns taking sneak peeks.
- Repeat until you have looked at every house.
- Have the mouse be the last animal you find. Read the target text Squeak and Creak before or while you find the mouse.
Apply the skill
- Read target words/patterns introduced in the activity
- Give each of the children a copy of the target text.
- Have the children read it to each other and underline the long e sound spelled with ee or ea.
- Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Write the following prompt on the board: “When I went to a creepy house I saw…..”
- Have the children create their own sentences about a creepy house that use words with the long e sound: creep, creak, sneak, leap, squeak, peek, squeaking, creeping, creepy, squeaky, speak, neat, beat.
SEEL Target Texts
Squeak and Creak
Do you hear that squeak, squeak, squeak?
Try not to speak so we can hear the squeak!
Do you hear that squeak?
I think we need to take a peek,
At this funny sounding squeak!
The squeak is coming from a mouse!
In my creaky wooden house!
Take a peek!
Do you see that squeaky mouse?
Making noise inside my house?
Squeak, squeak, squeak!