a snack and shake shack
Contrast short-vowel words with long-vowel words.
- lick, like
- shack, shake
- snack, snake
- sack, sake
- mad, made
- can, cane
- hop, hope
- Snack and Shake Shack sign*
- Snack description cards*
- Short- and long-vowel words on cards*
- Example T-chart of short- and long-vowel words*
- The Snack and Shake Shack target text*
- Lick Drips from Sticks and Cones target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will go to a snack shack to get pretend snacks and will contrast short- and long-vowel words such as lick and like, shack and shake, and tack and take.
Get a snack at the Snack and Shack Shack
- Set up an area of the room as the Snack and Shack Shack with snack description cards (found below) on display.
- Have the children go to the Snack and Shake Shack to get a sack of pretend snacks.
- Have the children read a list of items for sale and decide which snacks they would like.
- Let the children put pretend snacks in their sack and then shake the sacks with snacks.
Read and write target words
- Create a T-chart to contrast short- and long-vowel words, similar to the example T-chart provided below (e.g., lick vs like).
- Lay out the short- and long-vowel words on cards (found below).
- Put a short-vowel word on the short-vowel side of the T-chart and put the corresponding long-vowel word on the long-vowel side.
- Let the children write in the missing short- or long-vowel words on the T chart (e.g., write sake to go with sack or bit to go with bite).
Engage the children in interactive reading
- Read The Snack and Shake Shack target text to the children.
- Read the text with the children, fading support.
- Have the children engage in paired reading where one child reads to a peer.
- Have the children change roles so that the other child takes a turn to read.
- Let the children read the Lick Drips from Sticks and Cones target text to themselves and then with a peer.
SEEL Target Texts
The Snack and Shake Shack
Lick Drips from Sticks and Cones
Drips Slip Down and Slid off an Ice Cream Cone
A Snack and Shake Shack