Read and write words with short i and short o.
- Sponge or cloth
- Flip flops graphic
- Ship graphic
- Money graphic
- Old bar of soap (or some other object to chip and chop)
- Plastic knife
- Drip Drop target text
- Clip Clop target text
State and Model the Objective
The children will play with make words by changing the short vowel and list pairs of words that have different short vowel sounds, such as tip, top; drip, drop; clip, clop; hip, hop; ship, shop; sip, sop; slip, slop; flip, flop; and chip, chop.
Play with words
- Demonstrate changes in meaning as you change the vowel in a word to make a new word.
- Within the following activities, have children write the target word on the board and then change the vowel to make a new word:
- Drip, drop—drip and drop water into a cup
- Sip, sop—sip water then sop up water spills
- Slip, slop—pretend to slip and slop (spill) some water on the ground
- Clip, clop—pretend to be horses and clip clop
- Hip, hop—pretend to be rabbits that go hip hop
- Flip, flop—pretend to be a fish out of water and flip and flop back into the water
- Flip, flop—pretend to flip and flop pancakes
- Flip flop (sandals)—cut out the flip flops graphic and let some children try to walk in the flip flops
- Ship, shop—pretend to take a ship trip to a shop to buy flip flops
- Tip, top—reach up high to put an object on the tip top shelf
- Chip, chop—provide an object (an old piece of soap or an apple) that can be chipped and chopped up with a dull knife
Identify, Blend and manipulate sounds
- With letters placed on cards or bottle caps, have the children make new words by changing the vowel or either of the consonants:
- tip → top, drip → drop, chip → chop, flip → flop, tick → tock, sift → soft
- top → stop, trip → ship, snip → slip, snip → spin
Read target words/patterns introduced in the activity
- Read the target text Drip Drop together as a class.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children underline the short i words then repeat with short o words
- Repeat with the text Clip Clop.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Have the children write words from dictation: tip, top; drip, drop; clip, clop; hip, hop; ship, shop; sip, sop; slip slop; flip, flop; and chip, chop.
- Let the children write a word from dictation and then change one letter at a time to make a new word:
- tip, top, tap, tan, tin, pin, pan, pat, sat, sit, hit, hot, hop, shop, stop, slop, slap, slip
- Have the children fill in incomplete sentences by picking from options presented verbally or in writing:
- "I can play in water and ___ (e.g., drip drop, sip sop, slip slop)."
- "I like to pretend to ___ (e.g., clip clop like a horse, hip hop like a bunny, shop for a ship)."
SEEL Target Texts
Hip hop, hip hop like a rabbit.
Flip flop, flip flop like a fish.
Clip clop, hip hop, and flip flop.
Have fun clipping and clopping, hipping and hopping, and flipping and flopping like animals.
Drip and drop water into a cup.
Drip and drop water onto the floor.
Drip and drop and sip and slop water.
Do not slip!
Sop up the water from the drips and drops and sips and slops.
Sop up water and do not slip!
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.B: Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.