Read and write words with long o spellings: –o, –ow, and –oe.
- Seed word cards*
- Scarecrow picture*
- Hoe picture*
- Growing flowers picture*
- Go and Hoe a Row target text*
*Items included below.
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will pretend to hoe a row in a garden and will read and write words with different long o spellings: go, so, no, row, low, grow, sow, hoe, toe.
Go to hoe and sow seeds
- Have the children use the hoe picture (see below) to pretend to hoe a row.
- Let the children sow seed word cards (see below) in the rows and read the words as they sow the seeds in the rows.
- Instruct the children to gather the word cards and sort them according to spelling pattern: –o (i.e., no, so, go), –ow (i.e., row, grow, low, sow), –oe (i.e., hoe, toe).
Tell the crow to go away
- Say, “Oh no! Here comes a crow. Crows like to eat seeds.”
- Show the scarecrow picture (see below) and tell the crow to go away from the rows of seeds.
- Have the children write, “Go away, crow!”.
- Point out the words on the seed graphics with different long o spellings (i.e., go, crow).
Make flowers grow
- Show the Flowers Grow picture (see below).
- Invite the children to slowly unfold the paper flowers to make them grow.
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the target text Go and Hoe a Row (see below).
- Have the children make a chart listing the words from the text with long o spellings: –o (i.e., no, go), –ow (i.e., row, sow, crow, slowly, grow, low), –oe (i.e., hoe, toe).
- Read the text again fading support.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Make a word wall with long o words: –o (i.e., no, so, go), –ow (i.e., row, grow, sow, slow, low, crow, show), –oe (i.e., hoe, toe).
- Let the children write about how they can hoe, sow, and help plants grow (e.g., I can hoe a row and sow seeds. I can tell a crow to go away. I can watch a flower grow).
SEEL Target Texts
Go and Hoe a Row
I grab my hoe and go to hoe a row.
I go to hoe the dirt so I can sow seeds in the row.
Oh no! A crow!
I can’t let the crow go in the row of seeds.
I tell the crow to go away.
I watch the seeds slowly grow.
I see the plants pop up in a row.
I show off the plants as they grow in a row.
The plants start out low but then grow and grow.
I love to watch my garden grow!
Go and Hoe a Row