Play a Tune with a Tube
- Cardboard tube
- Use a Tube to Play a Tune target text*
- Make a Tune on the Tube target text*
*Items included below.
State the Objective
Tell the children that they will make a flute and that they will read and write long-u words, such as use, tube, tune, tool, cube, and flute.
Introduce target words
- Display a list of long-u target words.
- Read the words with the children.
Make a flute
- Read the Use a Tube to Play a Tune target text (see below) with the children.
- Tell the children to follow the instructions in the text and make three holes on one side of a tube.
- Read the Make a Tune on the Tube target text (see below) with the children.
- Let the children try making a tune with their tubes.
Write target words
- Have the children fill in the blanks with long-u target words.
- We used a ____ (tube) to make a ____ (flute).
- We made holes in a ____ (tube).
- We used a ____ (tool) to make holes in the ____ (tube).
- We made a ____ (flute) out of a ____ (tube).
- We used our ____ (flute) to make a ____ (tune).
- A ____ (flute) made from a tube can make a ____ (tune).
- Have the children write long-u vowel target words from dictation (e.g., use, tube, tune, tool, cube, flute).
Contrast the number of letters and sounds
- List long-u target words (e.g., use, tube, tune, tool, cube, flute).
- Remind the children that the silent e at the end of words like tube, tune, and cube makes the u say its name.
- Write a long-u-silent-e word (e.g., tube) and ask:
- How many letters does it have? (e.g., four: t + u + b + e)
- How many sounds does it have? (e.g., three: t + ū + b)
SEEL Target Texts
Use a Tube to Play a Tune
You can use a tube to make a tune.
You can make a flute from a tube.
A tool can help you make a flute.
Get a tube.
It can be a big tube but not a huge tube.
Use a tool to poke three holes in the tube.
You can make the tube look cute.
You can make it blue, too.
Ready for the tune?
Use the tube to make a tune.
Make a Tune on the Tube
Play a few notes with the tube.
The flute made from a tube can make a tune.
The tune is not the same as the tune from a flute.
A flute can be used to make a tune.
But the flute made out of a tube will not toot.
It will not go toot toot.
It will not be a true flute.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Play a Tune with a Tube