- Three copies of the picture of the creepy house*
- Picture of a mouse*
- Picture of a bug*
- Squeak and Creak target text*
- Flashlight (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will pretend to have a creepy feeling as they creep and sneak through a creaky, squeaking house and will read and write words with the long e sound.
Sneak a peek
- Put three copies of the creepy house (found below) around the room with the picture of the mouse (found below) behind the last picture.
- Hide the picture of the creepy bug (found below) behind the first or second house.
- Lead the children to the first house, sneaking and creeping along the way.
- Use a flashlight to take a sneak peek at the creepy, creaky house (optional).
- Have the children take sneak peeks behind the houses.
- Read the target text Squeak and Creak (found below) when you find the mouse.
Read target words introduced in the activity
- Have the children read the text to each other and identify the long e sound spelled with ee or ea.
Write about the activity using target words
- Show a word wall with ee and ea words (e.g., mouse, creep, creak, creaky, sneak, sneaky, leap, squeak, peek, peeking, squeaking, creeping, creepy, squeaky, speak, neat, flee, eek, seek, beat).
- Ask the children to write about a creepy, scary house.
SEEL Target Texts
Squeak and Creak
Do not peek and do not speak!
Do you hear that squeak, squeak, squeak?
Do not speak so we can hear the squeak!
The squeak is coming from a mouse!
In a creaky, squeaky house!
Take a peek!
Do you see that squeaky mouse?
It’s making noise inside the house?
Squeak, squeak, squeak!