Treat on Sweet Street
- Masking tape
- A sheet
- Real or pretend sweet and wheat treats*
- Street signs*
- Word and picture cards*
- Meet for a Treat target text*
- Paper feet* (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will beat their feet on a street while they read and write words that end in -ee and -ea, such as seat, meet, feet, beat, sheet, sweet.
Meet and greet on a street
- Set up the -ee and -ea street signs: Neat Street, Sweet Street, and Sheet Street (See signs below).
- Let the children greet and meet at Neat Street.
- Say, “Beat your feet down Neat Street.”
Eat a treat on sweet street
- Tell the children they will take a trip down a street to eat a treat.
- Have the children line up feet in a neat line (their own feet or paper feet below).
- Have the children beat their feet down Sweet Street.
- Let the children carry treats down Sweet Street until they get to Sheet Street.
- Have the children beat their feet down Sheet Street where they will find a sheet.
Meet on a sheet
- Make the sheet neat and take a seat on the sheet.
- Bring out a seat and place it on the sheet.
- Say, “I’d like you to meet at a seat on Sheet Street!”
- Lay out picture cards (see below) on the sheet.
- Have the children read the word cards (see below) and place them on the sheet next to the pictures.
Eat a treat
- Say, “Now it’s time to eat a treat on the sheet.”
- Have the children sit in a neat line on the sheet to eat a real or pretend treat.
Identify, blend and manipulate sounds
- Have the children make new words by changing the vowel or either of the consonants:
- meet → feet; sweet → street; beat → seat → neat
- feet → foot; beat → boot
- feet → feed; beat → bead; greet → greed
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the text Meet for a Treat (see below).
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Help the children make a list of the -ee and -ea words
Write about the activity using target words
- Display -ee and -ea words
- Present prompts to engage the children in interactive writing:
- We got to . . .
- Walk down the _____ (street).
- Beat our _____ (feet) down the _____(street).
- Meet and ____ (greet) on a ____ (street).
- Meet at a ______(seat) on a ____ (sheet) on the _____ (street).
- Eat a _____ (treat) on the ____ (sheet).
SEEL Target Texts
Meet for a Treat
We can greet and meet on a street.
We can beat our feet down a street to meet at a sheet.
Meet and greet on the sheet.
Take a seat on the sheet.
Eat a treat.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Treat on Sweet Street