cones and zones
Read and write words with the long o silent e vowel pattern (e.g., cone, zone).
- Paper cones (see below)
- Square sheets of paper taped to paper cones to make traffic cones
- Paper crumpled into balls and placed in a cone to make an ice cream cone
- Paper stones (see below)
- Word cards (see below)
- Letter cards (see below)
- Ice Cream Cone Zone target text (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will make a zone of cones and they will read and write words with the long o silent e spelling pattern, such as zone, cone, and stone.
Practice the skill within an activity
- Ice cream cone zone
- Make several cones using a paper template (see below) or your own method.
- Fill one cone with crumpled balls of paper to make an ice cream cone.
- Turn the other cones upside down and tape to square sheets of paper to make traffic cones.
- Place the traffic cones in an area of the room and have the children label the area danger zone.
- Ask the children to label stones by writing "safe zone stone" on each paper stone (see below).
- Place the stones in a path that leads to the ice cream cone and have the children label the area by the ice cream cone an "ice cream cone zone."
- Allow the children to follow the safe zone path of stepping stones then let them pretend to eat an ice cream cone in the ice cream cone zone.
- Word zone
- Block off an area of the room with traffic cones and place word cards (see below) in the area.
- Allow the children to choose a card from the word zone and help them read the word on the card.
- Let the children crumple the word into a paper ball to place in the ice cream cone.
- Have the children choose other word cards from the word zone to make into ice cream for the ice cream cone.
Apply the skill
Identify, blend and manipulate sounds
- With word blending letter cards (see below), help the children make new words by changing the vowel or either of the consonants:
- Change the beginning sound(s): cone --> zone; lone --> bone; stone --> drone
- Change the vowel sound: cone --> cane; lone --> line; drove --> drive
- Change the ending sound(s): cone --> code; hone --> home; drone --> drove
Read target words in texts
- Have the children underline the words with the long o silent e spelling pattern in the target text Ice Cream Cone Zone (see below).
- Read the text to the children then engage them in reading the text simultaneously with you.
- Allow the children to read the Ice Cream Cone Zone target text again fading support.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Introduce a word wall displaying target words from the lesson (i.e., cone, stone, zone) and have the children write a sentence or two expressing ideas from a lesson activity or target text using words from the word wall.
SEEL Target Texts
Ice Cream Cone Zone
Oh, no! We see some cones.
The cones show a danger zone.
How will we ever get our ice cream cones?
Look! We see a path of stepping stones!
The stepping stones show a safe zone.
We can step on stones to reach an ice cream cone zone!
Cones and Zones