i hope to go to the ski slope
Read and write words that end in -ope.
- Skier cutout*
- Strip of paper or cardboard
- Popsicle/craft sticks
- String, yarn, or rope
- A Rope on the Ski Slope target text*
- I Mope if I Can’t Go to the Slopes target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will take a doll up a ski slope and will read and write words that end with the long o ending -ope, such as rope, slope, mope, hope, cope, and nope.
Ski down a slope
- Set a piece of cardboard or paper at a slope to make a ski slope.
- Put popsicle stick skis on the feet of the skier cutout (found below).
- Have a child help the paper doll hold the rope.
- Let another child pull the rope to pull the doll up the slope.
- Let the doll ski down the slope.
Make a slope and grope for a rope
- Have the children make the two signs Slope and Nope, not a slope on pieces of paper.
- Hold a piece of paper at a slope and then not at a slope (flat).
- Let the children hold up the sign that matches what you do with the paper.
- Have the children write a sign saying Grope for a rope from dictation.
- Let the children grope for (feel around for) a piece of the string, yarn or rope.
Read about skiing down a slope
- Read A Rope on the Ski Slope text (found below) with the children.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Repeat with I Mope if I Can’t Go to the Slopes (found below).
Write about a ski slope
- As a class, make a list of words that end in -ope.
- Have the children write about what they hope to do when they go to a ski slope.
- Ask the children to use some -ope words from the list as they write.
SEEL Target Texts
A Rope on the Ski Slope
But nope, I can’t go to the slope today.
When there is no snow, I start to mope.
I have to cope when I cannot go to the slope.
I wait for snow with such great hope.
I strap on my skis and grope for the rope.
The rope pulls me up the slope.
And I will ski down and hope I won’t fall.
I will cope with the bumps on the slope.
I will not give up hope. Nope!
I will ski down the slope.
I’ll make it down that slope!
I Mope If I Can’t Go to the Slopes
I mope when there isn’t any snow.
But I’m not a dope! Nope!
I hope for snow and go when it snows.
I hang onto the rope and let it pull me up.
Then I ski down the slope.
I don’t mope when I’m on the slopes.
I Hope to Go to the Ski Slope