make snake shapes
Read and write words ending in the long-a-silent-e vowel pattern (e.g., snake).
- Play dough or paper for children to make a snake
- A Fake Snake, A Snake on a Plate, and A Snake Ate Grapes and Cake target texts
- Paper plate
- Crayons or markers
- Activity sheet: a race track with bases and places to add -ase and -ace words
State and Model the Objective
The children will make a fake snake and read and write words with the long-a-silent-e pattern, such as make, fake, lake, snake, rake, wake, and shake.
Play with snakes, cakes, and grapes on a plate
- Demonstrate making a fake snake and making the snake into a shape.
- Give children paper or dough to make a snake.
- Let children make or draw objects on a paper plate: a snake, a cake, a grape, a rake, a cape, a shape, a lake.
- Place a snake on a plate, and shake the plate to wake up the snake.
- Make comments using words containing the long-a sound:
- The fake snake is not awake. Let’s give him a shake!
- I put my snake on a plate.
- I can shake the snake.
- The snake can make the plate shake and quake.
- You can shake the fake snake.
- Make the snake into a shape.
- The fake snake fell in a lake.
- It’s okay. It’s just a fake snake.
- I made a snake. I made a fake snake.
- I’ll make fake grapes and a fake cake on a plate for a snake.
- Here comes the fake snake!
- A snake is on the plate.
- The fake snake ate a bit of cake on the plate.
- The snake rakes up bits of cake on the plate.
- The fake snake can rake the rest of the fake grapes and fake cake.
- The snake ate and raked up cake and can’t stay awake.
- Shh—don’t shake the plate and don’t wake the fake snake.
Read texts about the activity that highlight silent-e words
- Engage the children in reading the target text Fake Snake Shapes.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Read two other texts with the children: A Snake on a Plate and A Snake Ate Grapes and a Cake.
Write about the activity using words with the silent-e pattern
- Write a prompt on the board like "My fake snake . . ."
- Make a word wall available for the children that includes the words lake, make, rake, fake, shape, grape, ate, plate, wake, awake, and ate.
- Have the children complete the prompt using words from the word wall (e.g., My fake snake can make a shape, My fake snake ate a grape).
SEEL Target Texts
Fake Snake Shapes
I like fake snakes!
My fake snake is awake.
My fake snake swims in a lake.
Make Snake Shapes