mice on ice
Read and write words with the long-i-silent-e vowel pattern.
- Pictures of mice*
- Blue paper, a tray with salt, or cellophane
- Word-building cards*
- Mice on Ice target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will pretend to watch mice skate on ice and will read and write words with the long-i-silent-e vowel pattern, such as ice, mice, nice, and twice.
Skate on ice
- Using the blue paper, a tray with salt, or cellophane, set up a pretend ice rink and label it Nice ice.
- Point out the long-i-silent-e vowel pattern and explain that the letter c followed by an e makes the /s/ sound.
- Read the target text Mice on Ice (found below) to the children.
- Allow the children to use the ice rink and pictures of mice (found below) so the mice can slide and glide on the ice.
- Ask the children to pretend to have the mice slip and fall twice.
- Help the children make a list of words that end with -ice (e.g., ice, nice, mice, twice).
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (found below), help the children make new words by changing the vowel or either of the consonants:
- Change the beginning consonant(s): nice→ mice, rice→ dice, twice→ price
- Change the vowel: rice→ race, lice→ lace, ice→ ace
- Change the ending consonant(s): mice→ mine, rice→ ride, lice→ lime, pride→ price
Read target words in texts
- Have the children underline the words with the long-i-silent-e spelling pattern in the target text Mice on Ice (found below).
- Read the text to the children and then engage them in reading the text with you.
- Allow the children to read Mice on Ice again, fading support.
Write about the activity
- Introduce a word wall displaying target words (e.g., mice, ice, nice, twice).
- Have the children refer to the word wall as they write about mice on ice.
SEEL Target Texts
Mice on Ice
It is nice to skate on ice.
The ice is very nice today.
I can skate on the ice!
I like to skate on ice.
I see mice on the ice.
The mice must like to skate on ice.
The mice like to slide and glide on the ice.
Those silly mice love the ice!
I like to see mice sliding and gliding on ice.
Mice on Ice