Read and write words with the long-i-silent-e vowel pattern.
- Toy mice or picture of mice*
- Two dice or picture of dice*
- Picture of a bowl of rice*
- Ice or picture of ice*
- Play money or picture of money*
- Picture of cinnamon spice*
- Sentence strips*
- Word-building cards*
- Nice Mice Party target text*
- Nice Mice target text*
- Playdough and a plastic knife
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will make a nice party for mice and will read and write words with the long-i-silent-e vowel pattern, such as mice, nice, ice, rice, dice, slice, and price.
Nice mice party
- Help the children read the sentence strips (found below) about mice at a party.
- Allow the children to use the objects or the pictures (found below) to act out the sentences:
- Mice play with dice.
- Mice eat rice.
- Mice cut a slice of pizza.
- Mice cut a slice of cake.
- Mice add spices to a slice of pizza.
- Mice pay a price for ice.
- Mice pay a price for spices.
- Mice pay a price for rice.
- Mice pay a price for a slice of pizza.
- Mice slip and fall twice.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
With word-building cards (found below), help the children make new words by changing the vowel or either of the consonants:
- Change the beginning consonant(s): nice→ mice, rice→ dice, slice→ spice
- Change the vowel sound: rice→ race, spice→ space, ice→ ace
- Change the ending consonant: nice→ nine, rice→ ripe, slice→ slide
Read target words in texts
- Read the target text Nice Mice Party (found below) to the children and then again with the children, fading support.
- Have the children underline the words with the long-i-silent-e spelling pattern.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Introduce a word wall displaying target words (e.g., mice, nice, ice, rice, dice, slice, price, twice, spice).
- Have the children write about nice mice skating on ice or nice mice paying a price for spice, rice, or a slice of pizza.
SEEL Target Texts
The mice do lots of things.
The mice play with dice.
The mice eat rice.
The mice slide on ice.
The mice pay a price for ice.
The mice put spice on rice.
The mice slice pizza into slices.
How nice to see all the things the mice can do!
A Nice Party for Mice
At the party the nice mice . . .
- Played with dice.
- Had a drink with ice.
- Ate a slice of cake.
- Ate rice with spices.
- Put spices on slices of pizza.
- Cut a slice of pizza twice.