Read and write words with the long-i-silent-e vowel pattern.
- Washable markers or chalk
- Wipes or tissues
- Piece of PVC pipe, pipe made from rolled sheet of plastic, or paper pipe
- -ipe word cards
- Word blending cards
- Put Stripes on a Pipe target text
State and Model the Objective
The children will wipe stripes off pipes and read and write long-i-silent-e words, such as gripe, pipe, ripe, swipe, wipe, stripe.
Place a pipe on stripes
- Have the children make stripes of different colors on a piece of paper.
- Show a pipe and let the children place or draw stripes on the pipe.
- Let the children make stripes on pipes using markers.
- Have the children wipe the stripes off the pipe with a swipe.
- Comment that there are not enough pipes or wipes or markers.
- Alert the children that they should not gripe if they have to wait to put stripes on a pipe or wipe stripes off a pipe.
Draw pipes with stripes
- Have the children draw pictures of pipes with stripes.
- See if the stripes will wipe off the pipe.
- Comment on how the stripes won’t wipe off paper but will wipe off a whiteboard.
- Ask the children if they have a gripe about drawing pipes on paper or a white board.
- Show the children the -ipe word cards and let them tape the words to pipes.
- Let the children write -ipe words on paper pipes.
- With word blending cards, have the children make new words by changing the vowel or either of the consonants:
- pipe → wipe; swipe → stripe; ripe → gripe
- pipe → pine; stripe → stride
- ripe → rope; gripe → grape
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the Put Stripes on a Pipe target text as a class or a group.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children make a list of the long-i-silent-e words from the text.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Let the children write about what they did with stripes and pipes, and include these words: pipe, stripe, wipe, gripe, swipe.
SEEL Target Texts
Put Stripes on a Pipe
You can put stripes on a pipe.
And you can wipe stripes off the pipe.
You can wipe the stripes off with one swipe!
But if you put stripes on paper you can’t wipe off the stripes.
You can gripe because the stripes won’t wipe off.
Wipe Stripes Off a Pipe