Big Blue Banner
- Big sheet of blue butcher paper
- Objects or picture cards* of objects that begin with B
- Black, blue, and brown markers
*Item included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will decorate a banner with things that start with the letter B as they practice saying the /b/ sound in words such as big, banner, bow, best, and beautiful.
Decorate the Big Blue Banner
- Work together with the children to attach objects or picture cards of things that begin with the letter B to the Big Blue Banner (the big sheet of blue butcher paper).
- As a child attaches a picture or an object beginning with the /b/ sound, have them say the name of the object, emphasizing the /b/ sound (e.g., /b/, /b/, bow).
- Make comments throughout the activity, using and emphasizing words that start with B.
Read target words
- Have the children recall the items they put on the Big Blue Banner, and list them on the board.
- Read the words together as a class.
- Emphasize that each word starts with the letter B, which makes the /b/ sound.
Write the target letter
- Let the children use black, blue, or brown markers to write the letter B on the Big Blue Banner.
- Help the children write the uppercase letter B and lowercase letter b while producing the /b/ sound.
- As the children write, point out the shapes included in the letter B and b (i.e., lines and half-circles).
SEEL At Home
Associate the uppercase letter B and lowercase letter b with the /b/ sound as in words like blue, banner, and brown.
- Blue construction paper
- Pictures of items that begin with the letter B
- Additional objects or pictures of things beginning with the letter B (optional)
- Tape or glue
- Black, blue, or brown markers
Activity: Blue Banner
- Help your child attach B picture cards and objects to the blue construction paper to make a blue banner.
- As you attach things to the Big Blue Banner, make comments emphasizing words that start with the /b/ sound (e.g., "You made lots of beautiful bows on the blue banner. Our blue banner is brilliant!").
- Using a blue, brown, or black marker, help your child write the uppercase letter B and lowercase letter b on the banner while producing the /b/ sound.
- Help your child write words that begin with the letter B on the Big Blue Banner.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Big Blue Banner