Cooking Caramel Cookies
- Mixing bowl, mixing spoon, and measuring cups
- Ingredients for caramel cookies (see recipe below)
- Plastic bags
- Cookie graphics*
- Cook and Clean target text*
- Letter cards*
- Circle C design*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will search for caramel cookies as they practice saying the /k/ sound in words that begin with the letter C, such as cook, caramel, cookies, and candy.
Find caramel cookies
- Prepare caramel cookies by following the recipe below.
- Place the cookies in plastic bags, hide them around the classroom, and have the children search to find them.
- Have the children chant, “/k/, /k/, /k/” as they search the classroom.
- When the children find a cookie, have them shout, “C for cookie” and allow them to crunch on their cookie.
- After all the cookies have been found, give each child a cookie graphic and have them write a letter C on the back of each card.
Read Cook and Clean
- Display the Cook and Clean target text so that the children can see it.
- Read the text together as a class.
- Allow the children to take turns pointing to all the Cs in the text while saying, "C says /k/."
Cool the Cookie (Similar to “Hot Potato”)
- Have the children sit in a circle.
- Set a timer for a short amount of time (less than 30 seconds).
- Place a cookie in a plastic bag and pass it around the circle.
- Each time a child gets the cookie, have him or her say, “/k/, /k/, cookie starts with C.”
- When the timer goes off, have the child who is holding the cookie step out of the circle.
- Continue until only one child remains as the winner.
Make a C design
- Give the children a circle C design page.
- Have the children place a letter C card on each space along the circle, saying the /k/ sound each time they place a new letter card.
SEEL Target Texts
Cook and Clean
I can cook a cookie.
I can cook a caramel cookie.
I can clean.
I can clean up.
I can clean up after I cook.
I can clean up after I cook a caramel cookie.
SEEL At Home
Associate the uppercase letter C and lowercase letter c with the /k/ sound in words such as cookie, clean, and caramel.
- Cookie graphics
Activity: /k/, /k/, Cookies
- Hide the cookie graphics around the room.
- Have your child search for the cookies while chanting "/k/, /k/, /k/" as he or she searches.
- When your child finds a cookie, have him or her say, "C for /k/, /k/, cookie" and write a letter C on the back of the card.
- Repeat as desired.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Cooking Caramel Cookies