Cheerios and Children
Associate the letters ch with the /ch/ sound (e.g., the /ch/ sound in chew, Cheerios, chant).
- Pretend dollar bills (see graphics below)
- Choose a Child Chant (see target text below)
- Small pieces of paper with a hole punched at the top
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will make, chomp, and chew Cheerios and will practice saying the /ch/ sound in words that start with the letters ch, such as cheer, chain, child, and chew.
Practice the skill within an activity (Choose from the options below)
Charge for Cheerios
- Write the letters ch and explain that the letters ch spelled together make the /ch/ sound.
- Tell the children that they can hear the /ch/ sound in Cheerios and children.
- Give each child a pretend dollar bill (see below).
- Tell the children they can pay a small charge for a handful of Cheerios to chomp and chew (model chomping and chewing).
- Explain to the children that Cheerios are cheap, and that they can choose to give a pretend $1.00 to buy Cheerios.
- Have the children put Cheerios in the palm of their hands (hands are shaped like a 'dish') and place their hand over top the ‘dish’ until they hear you chant, “Children, chomp and chew your Cheerios!”
Make a chain of children
- Read Choose a Child Chant (see target text below) to the children.
- Have the children stand up around the room.
- ‘Chain’ two children together by having them link arms.
- Choose other children to join the chain of children.
- Cheer for the chain of children as the chain weaves around chairs and other children.
Give children a challenge to make a chain of Cheerios (optional)
- Show the children a chain of Cheerios and tell them it is a challenge to chain cheerios together.
- Help the children chain together a few Cheerios by looping yarn up and over the sides of a Cheerio before adding another Cheerio to the chain; loop the yarn up and over that Cheerio too.
- Tell the children that once they finish the challenge of chaining Cheerios together, that they will NOT want to chomp and chew those Cheerios!
Apply the skill
Identify the target sound
- Show the children the text for the Choose a Child Chant (see text below).
- Have the children find and circle the letters ch throughout the chant.
- Read the chant slowly and have the children lift their hands in a cheer each time they hear the /ch/ sound.
Write the target letter
- Have the children write the letters ch on small pieces of paper with a hole punched at the top.
- Allow the children to string the letters into a chain.
- Ask the children to produce the /ch/ sound as they add ch paper to the string.
SEEL Target Texts
Choose a Child Chant
Choose, choose, choose a child
Choose, choose, choose a child…
to join a chain of children!
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Cheerios and Children