Chimpanzees and Chickens
Associate the letters ch with the /ch/ sound (e.g., the /ch/ sound in cheese, cheer, chimpanzee).
- 3 chairs
- Animal signs (see below)
- Small letter cards (see below)
- Large letter cards (see below)
- Picture cards (see below) in a bag
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will choose chimpanzees and chickens as they practice saying the /ch/ sound in words that start with the letters ch such as chimpanzee, chicken, cheese, chips, chomp, and cheer.
Practice the skill within an activity
Choose a chimpanzee or chicken
- Write the letters ch on the board and tell the children that the letters ch written together make the /ch/ sound.
- Place the animal signs (see below) on two chairs on one side of the room, then have the children stand at the opposite side of the room.
- Put a roll of tape or sticky tack on the back of the small letter cards (see below) and give the cards to the children.
- Instruct the children to choose 'chimpanzee' or 'chicken,' then have them tape their letter card to the chair with the corresponding sign.
- Have the children say, “/ch/ - /ch/ - /ch/” as they carry their letter card across the room.
- Count the letter cards on each sign to determine which animal has the most ch letter cards once all of the children have chosen an animal.
- Have the children cheer for the animal with the most ch letter cards.
Choose a chair
- Place each of the three large letter cards (see below) on separate chairs.
- Take the small letter cards off the 'chimpanzee' and 'chicken' chairs and give them back to the children.
- Have the children choose the chair with the letter card that matches their small letter cards.
- Allow the children to sit in the chair and say the /ch/ sound.
Apply the skill
Identify words with the target sound
- Place the picture cards (see below) in a bag.
- Have the children choose a picture card and help them decide whether or not the word on the card begins with the letters ch.
- If the word on the card begins with the letters ch, have the children place it on the ch chair (from the activity above).
- If the word on the card does not begin with the letters ch, discard it.
- Emphasize that the words beginning with the letters ch start with the /ch/ sound.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Chimpanzees and Chickens