Cheerios and Children
- Pretend dollar bills
- Choose a Child Chant target text
- Small pieces of paper with a hole punched at the top
Tell the children they will make, chomp, and chew Cheerios and will practice saying the /ch/ sound in words that start with the letters ch, such as cheer, chain, child, and chew.
Charge for Cheerios
- Write the letters ch and explain that the letters ch spelled together make the /ch/ sound.
- Tell the children that they can hear the /ch/ sound in Cheerios and children.
- Give each child a pretend dollar bill.
- Tell the children they can pay a small charge for a handful of Cheerios to chomp and chew (model chomping and chewing).
- Explain to the children that Cheerios are cheap, and that they can choose to give a pretend $1.00 to buy Cheerios.
- Have the children put Cheerios in the palm of their hands (hands are shaped like a 'dish') and place their hand over top the ‘dish’ until they hear you chant, “Children, chomp and chew your Cheerios!”
Make a chain of children
- Read Choose a Child Chant target text to the children.
- Have the children stand up around the room.
- ‘Chain’ two children together by having them link arms.
- Choose other children to join the chain of children.
- Cheer for the chain of children as the chain weaves around chairs and other children.
Give children a challenge to make a chain of Cheerios (optional)
- Show the children a chain of Cheerios and tell them it is a challenge to chain cheerios together.
- Help the children chain together a few Cheerios by looping yarn up and over the sides of a Cheerio before adding another Cheerio to the chain; loop the yarn up and over that Cheerio too.
- Tell the children that once they finish the challenge of chaining Cheerios together, that they will NOT want to chomp and chew those Cheerios!
Identify the target sound
- Show the children the text for the Choose a Child Chant.
- Have the children find and circle the letters ch throughout the chant.
- Read the chant slowly and have the children lift their hands in a cheer each time they hear the /ch/ sound.
Write the target letter
- Have the children write the letters ch on small pieces of paper with a hole punched at the top.
- Allow the children to string the letters into a chain.
- Ask the children to produce the /ch/ sound as they add ch paper to the string.
SEEL Target Texts
Choose a Child Chant
Choose, choose, choose a child
Choose, choose, choose a child…
to join a chain of children!
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Cheerios and Children