Associate the letters ch with the /ch/ sound in words such as cheese, cheer, and chimpanzee.
- Three chairs
- Animal signs*
- Small letter cards*
- Large letter cards*
- Picture cards in a bag*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will choose chimpanzees and chickens as they practice saying the /ch/ sound in words that start with the letters ch, such as chimpanzee, chicken, cheese, chips, chomp, and cheer.
Choose a chimpanzee or chicken
- Write the letters ch on the board and tell the children that the letters ch written together make the /ch/ sound.
- Place two chairs on one side of the room, each with an animal sign on it, then have the children stand at the opposite side of the room.
- Put a roll of tape or a blob of sticky tack on the back of the small letter cards and give the cards to the children.
- Instruct the children to choose chimpanzee or chicken, then have them tape their letter cards to the chair with the corresponding sign.
- Have the children say, “/ch/, /ch/, /ch/” as they carry their letter card across the room.
- Count the letter cards on each sign to determine which animal has the most ch letter cards once all of the children have chosen an animal.
- Have the children cheer for the animal with the most ch letter cards.
Choose a chair
- Place each of the three large letter cards on separate chairs.
- Take the small letter cards off the chimpanzee and chicken chairs and give them back to the children.
- Have the children choose the chair with the letter card that matches their small letter cards.
- Allow the children to take turns sitting in the chairs while saying the /ch/ sound.
Identify words with the target sound
- Place the picture cards in a bag.
- Have the children each choose a picture card and help them decide whether or not the word on the card begins with the letters ch.
- If the word on the card begins with the letters ch, have the children place it on the ch chair from the activity above.
- If the word on the card does not begin with the letters ch, place it in a discard pile.
- Emphasize that the words beginning with the letters ch start with the /ch/ sound.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Chimpanzees and Chickens