Dynamic Dot Bingo
Associate the uppercase letter D and lowercase letter d with the /d/ sound in words such as dot, dad, and deer.
- D Bingo Playing Cards
- Individual D Bingo Cards
- Dots to mark the squares
The children will play a game of Dynamic Dot Bingo as they practice saying the /d/ sound in words that begin with the letter D, such as dot, dynamite, and dog.
- Give each child a Bingo card and leave enough dots for each child in the middle of the table.
- Have the children name the pictures on the playing cards. Emphasize that the word for each picture on the cards begins with the letter D, which makes the /d/ sound.
- Draw an individual Bingo card from the container. If the children have the corresponding picture on their card, have them put a dot on it and say, for example, “Dot, dot, dot on /d/, /d/, duck.”
- When a child gets Bingo (single line horizontal, vertical, diagonal, or black out), have them call out, “Dynamite!”
- When a child calls out “Dynamite!” have them say the words underneath each dot, saying, for example, “/d/, /d/, dog starts with D” each time.
Read target words
- Have the children help you write a list of the words on the bingo cards, letting the children write the D at the beginning of the word.
- Read the list together as a group, pointing to each word as you read it.
- Point out that all of the words begin with the letter D, which makes the /d/ sound.
Write the target letter
- Have the children write the uppercase letter D and lowercase letter d on the back of their dot cards from the previous Bingo game.
- Play Dynamite Dot Bingo again, having the children use the letter D side of the dot cards (instead of the dot side) to mark off the bingo squares.
SEEL At Home
Associate the uppercase letter D and lowercase letter d with the /d/ sound in words such as dot, doe, and duck.
- D Picture Cards
- Timer, stopwatch, or clock (optional)
Activity: D Dash
- Put the D picture cards at one end of the room or yard.
- Stand with your child at the other end of the room or yard.
- When you say, "Ready, set, dash!" have your child run to the D picture cards and choose one.
- Before he or she brings the card back, have your child say the name of the item on the card, emphasizing the /d/ sound (e.g., /d/, /d/, dog).
- Have your child run back with the card.
- Take turns running and choosing cards until all of the picture cards have been chosen.
- Have your child circle the letter D on each card.
- Time yourself and repeat the activity to try to get faster (optional).
- Make a list of the words from the activity, letting your child write the letter D at the beginning of the word.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Dynamic Dot Bingo