Get E in the Net
Associate the letter E with the short /e/ sound (e.g., the /e/ sound in egg, get, pen).
- Net (e.g., the netting used to package oranges, onions, or potatoes)
- Net graphic (see below)
- Picture cards (see below)
- Letter cards (see below)
- Paper airplane instructions (see below)
- Word cards (see below)
- Get the Hen in the Net target text (see below)
- Whiteboards for each of the children
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will try to get pictures of things with the /e/ sound into a net as they practice reading and writing words spelled with the letter E such as end, net, jet, bed, red, hen, and pen.
Practice the skill within an activity
Make words on a net
- Show children the net and tell them they will get pictures of words with the /e/ sound in the net and use letter cards to make the words (i.e., hen, pen, ten, jet, net, wet, bed, sled).
- Let the children choose picture cards (see below) to get in the net.
- Tell the children to say the sounds in each word then choose letter cards (see below) that match the sounds in the word (e.g. /j/ – /e/ – /t/ = jet).
- Have the children put the letter cards in order on the lines below the net graphic to make the word.
- Make comments such as “I see jet in the net” or “I can get a bed in the net.” Emphasize the /e/ sound in words with the letter e (e.g. /n/- /e/ - /e/ - /et/).
- Point out that each word has the letter e which makes the /e/ sound.
Put word cards in red jet
- Make a paper jet (see instructions below) and color it red.
- Put word cards (see below) with the /e/ sound in the paper jet.
- Take the words off of the red jet one at a time and point out the letter e, emphasizing that it makes the e sound.
- Have the children read each word then place the words in a net.
- Let the children make their own word cards to put in the red jet or in a net by writing words with the short /e/ sound on small pieces of paper.
Apply the skill (choose from the following)
Identify the target letter and associated sound in a text (see below)
- Read the target text Get the Hen in the Net together as a class/group.
- Have the children underline the letter e in words with the /e/ sound.
- Read the text again fading support.
- Write the target letter (see below).
- Give each child a whiteboard and have them write words from dictation, changing one or two letters each time to make a new word:
- pen → pet → bet → bed → led → leg → log → bog → bag → ban → man → men → met → set
SEEL Target Texts
Get the Hen in the Net
I can get a hen in a net.
I can get a pen in a net.
I can get a sled in a net.
I can get a bed in a net
Now I see a red jet.
I can get the word leg from a red jet.
I can get the word pet from a red jet.
I can get the word step from a red jet.
I can get the word men from a red jet.
The word leg is on a red jet and a hen is in a net.
The word pet is on a red jet and a pen is in a net.
The word step is on a red jet and a sled is in a net.
The word men is on a red jet and a bed is in a net.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Get E in the Net