Associate the uppercase letter J and lowercase letter j with the /j/ sound as in jump, journey, and jar.
- Letters J and j placed on a large jar
- J Journey chant
- Picture cards or objects of items beginning with J
The children will go on a journey to find things that begin with the letter J as they practice writing the uppercase letter J and lowercase letter j and saying the /j/ sound in words such as jump, jingle, and jacket.
- Place the picture cards or objects around the room.
- Show the children the letter J and have the children name the letter and say the /j/ sound all together.
- Teach the children the J Journey chant and emphasize the /j/ sound in the J words.
- Have the children search the room for an object or picture of an object beginning with the letter J.
- When a child finds a picture or object, have everyone repeat the J Journey chant while performing the actions.
- Have the children circle the letter J on each picture card and say the /j/ sound.
Read target words in a text
- Read the J Journey chant to the children.
- Have the children find and underline the letters J and j throughout the text, saying the /j/ sound each time they underline a letter.
- Read the J Journey chant again and have the children jump and make the /j/ sound every time they hear a word that begins with the letter J.
Play a memory game
- Cut out two copies of the picture cards, mix them up, and set them face down.
- Have the children take turns flipping over two cards at a time to find a match.
- Once children find a matching set of pictures, have the child write the letter J on a piece of paper as they say the /j/ sound.
SEEL At Home
Associate the uppercase letter J and lowercase letter j with the /j/ sound such as in jump, jewel, and jeans.
- Picture cards
- J Journey chant
Activity: Going on a J Journey
- Cut out the picture cards and hide them around the house.
- Show your child the letter J and have him or her name the letter and say the /j/ sound.
- Walk around your house together while looking for pictures of things that start with J.
- When you find a picture, recite the J Journey chant together and perform the actions.
- Read the J Journey chant with your child and have your child circle the letter J any time it appears throughout the text.
- Help your child write a letter to a friend who could not come on the J Journey, telling the friend what you found.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.