Make a M Mask
Associate the uppercase letter M (and lowercase letter m) with the /m/ sound (e.g., monster, mirror, mask).
- Objects that start with M (e.g., macaroni, mini marshmallows, M&Ms, moss, mud, muck)
- Monster mask—printed on cardstock or glued on a paper plate with eye cutouts
- Picture cards
- Popsicle stick to attach to mask (optional)
- Glue (add brown or green food coloring to look like mud or muck)
- Mirror (optional)
- Monster Mash song by Bobby “Boris” Pickett (optional)
- Music player if parading and dancing to Monster Mash (Teach children to sing along as they “Do the mash! Do the Monster Mash!”)
- Writing practice page
- A Halloween Mask for Monster by Virginia Mueller (optional)
Make a Monster Mask
- Show the children picture cards of objects that begin with M, identifying the /m/ sound at the beginning of each word.
- Distribute pre-cut monster mask templates, and encourage the children to make their masks by gluing objects that start with M on the mask (optional) or have them use picture cards of objects.
- Make a list of all of the objects or picture cards on the mask. Emphasize that all of the items on the list begin with the letter M which makes the /m/ sound.
- Allow the children to model their monster masks and look in the mirror (optional).
Monster Mask Parade (optional)
- Have the children put their masks on and stand in a line around the room.
- Play the song Monster Mash and have the children dance like monsters while walking in a line around the room.
More Practice (choose from the following)
Write the target letter
- Help the children write the letter M (and lowercase m), at the top of the writing practice page.
- Have the children draw a picture in the space under the letter of something that begins with the /m/ sound.
SEEL At Home
Read and write the letter M (and lowercase m) and associate it with the /m/ sound: mug, moss, moons.
- Monster mask graphic and picture cards
- Objects beginning with the letter M (optional)
- Tape or glue
- Craft stick (optional)
Activity: Monster Masks
- Help your child make a monster mask for Mom.
- Cut eye circles out of the monster mask.
- Decorate the mask with items or pictures of things beginning with the letter M (e.g., mini marshmallows, macaroni, moss, mud, mustard, moons).
- Emphasize that all of the items on the mask begin with the letter M which makes the /m/ sound.
- Have your child use a marker to write the letter M several times on the mask.
- Attach a craft stick to the mask (optional).
- As you work together, use words and phrases beginning with the /m/ sound (e.g.; Will you add moons or macaroni to your monster mask? Can we stick millions of mini marshmallows to the mask?).
- Try the mask on, and look in the mirror.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Make a M Mask