Associate the uppercase letter M and lowercase letter m with the /m/ sound as in mess, make, and moose.
- Letter cards
- Small empty trash can
- Thick paper
- Macaroni, glue, and paper cups
- Picture cards or objects
- Mop (made with yarn taped to the end of a pencil)
- Make Mouse a Muffin target text
- Millie the Mouse graphic
- Book: Mouse Mess by Linnea Riley (Blue Sky Press, 1997) (optional)
The children will make a mess as they practice writing the uppercase letter M and lowercase letter m and saying the /m/ sound in words such as mat, mix, and moose.
March to find the letter M in a mess
- Read Mouse Mess by Linnea Riley (optional).
- Place letter cards around the classroom.
- Tell the children to find the letter M.
- Have the children chant, “/m/, /m/, /m/” as they march around the classroom.
- Have the children say, “M makes the /m/ sound” when they find an M.
Make a mess
- Tell the children to put the pictures or objects that start with M on a messy mat and the pictures that do not start with M in a trash can.
- Help the children name each picture or object that starts with the letter M and comment that the letter M makes the /m/ sound.
- Have the children take turns selecting a picture or object that starts with M to mix into a mess.
- Have the children mix, make, mash, and move the mess.
- Use a mop (made with yarn taped to the end of a pencil) to “mop up the mess.”
Read target words in a text
- Read the Make Mouse a Muffin target text to the children.
- Have the children find and circle the letter M throughout the text, saying the /m/ sound each time they circle an M.
Write the target letter
- Give each child a picture of Millie the Mouse.
- Have the children draw pictures of the items they placed in the mouse mess on the messy mat.
- Have the children label the pictures by writing the letter M next to each object (support as needed).
Make an M out of macaroni
- Write the letter M using glue.
- Have the children place macaroni on the glue while producing the /m/ sound.
Magical musical maracas
- Put a small amount of macaroni into a cup and tape the cup to another cup to make maracas.
- Have the children write the letter M on their maracas and hum a song with the /m/ sound.
SEEL Target Texts
Make Mouse a Muffin
Mix many Ms into the muffin.
Mix macaroni into the muffin.
Mix money into muffin.
Mix a mint into the muffin.
Mash a marshmallow into the muffin.
Microwave the muffin for a minute.
Mouse might munch the muffin!
SEEL At Home
Associate the uppercase letter M and lowercase letter m with the /m/ sound as in mess, map, and moon.
- Millie Mouse graphic
- Pictures of items starting with M
- Mat (made out of a piece of paper)
- Mop (made out of a pencil and yarn)
Activity: Mouse Mess
- Hide pictures of items that start with M around the room.
- With your child, take turns searching for pictures that start with M while holding the Millie the Mouse graphic.
- Name each picture and comment that they all start with the letter M, which makes the /m/ sound.
- Have Millie Mouse make a mess on the mat by mixing the pictures that start with M onto the mat.
- Pretend to clean up the mess by using a mop (made out of a pencil and yarn).
- Repeat the activity using objects around the house that begin with the /m/ sound.
- Help your child make a list of items from the messy mat that start with the letter M.
- Read the list together, and have your child circle the M in each word.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Make a Mess