Associate the uppercase letter Q and lowercase letter q with the /kw/ sounds as in quail, queen, and quick.
- Q survey questions
- Question and answer chart
- Writing practice page
The children will answer quiet questions as they practice saying the /kw/ sound in words that start with the letter Q such as quirky, quiet, and questions.
Answer Q questions
- Read the Q Survey Questions to the children, emphasizing the /kw/ sounds in words with the letter Q.
- Pass out the question and answer charts to the children and have them underline the letter Q throughout the page.
- Have them produce the /kw/ sound each time they underline a letter.
- Read the questions again in a quiet whisper and have the children indicate a response for each question by showing thumbs up or thumbs down.
- Show the children how to mark “yes” and “no” responses in the answer columns.
- Allow the children to ask each other the survey questions in a quiet voice and help them record their answers on their question and answer chart.
- Record classroom results for each question on the board and quietly discuss them.
Write the target letter
- Help the children write the letter Q and lowercase letter q on the writing practice page.
- Have the children produce the /kw/ sounds while writing the letter Q.
- Allow the children to draw a picture of something that begins with the letter Q in the space below the letters (e.g., queen, quarter, quilt).
SEEL Target Texts
Q Survey Questions
2. Have you met a queen?
3. Are you quick?
4. Do you have a quarter?
5. Can you quack like a duck?
6. Have you seen a quail?
7. Do you like to be quiet?
8. Have you been in an earthquake?
SEEL At Home
Associate the uppercase letter Q and lowercase letter q with the /kw/ sound as in quail, queen, and quick.
- Q question survey page
Activity: Quiet Questions
- Read the questions together with your child and have him or her underline the letter Q throughout the survey page.
- Ask your child to produce the /kw/ sound each time he or she underlines the letter Q.
- Allow your child to ask the questions to family members or friends.
- Help your child record responses on the survey page.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.