- Quail graphic
- Feather graphics or real feathers
- Strips of paper
- Action cards
- Queen Quail nametag
- Writing practice page
The children will pretend to be quail who quickly follow Queen Quail as they practice saying the /kw/ sound as in queen, quail, and quick.
Click here to view a video demonstration similar to this lesson.
Follow the Queen Quail
- Show the children the quail graphic and explain that when quail are young, they quickly follow their parents.
- Give each child feathers or feather graphics and have them attach the feathers to strips of paper to make a quail headband.
- Choose a student to be Queen Quail and explain that Queen Quail will tell the children to act out words that start with Q.
- Show the children the action cards and point out that every word starts with the letters qu, which make the /kw/ sound.
- Explain that the letter Q is usually spelled with a U after it.
- Have Queen Quail read the action word cards, and have the children perform an action when each card is read. Use the following actions or create your own:
- Quiet: Hold a finger to lips and say “shhh”
- Quake: Shake as if afraid
- Quack: Hold hands to lips like a duck bill and quack
- Quick: Jog in place quickly
- Quit: Sit down and say “I quit!”
- Repeat the activity as desired with a different child acting as Queen Quail during each round.
- End the game by saying, “Queen Quail says quit!”
Read the target letter
- Have the children underline the letter Q on the action cards and on the Queen Quail name tag.
- Point out that the letter Q makes the /kw/ sound.
- Help the children read the action cards (support as needed).
Write the target letter
- Help the children write the uppercase letter Q and the lowercase letter q while they produce the /kw/ sound.
- Have the children write the letter Q and lowercase letter q on their headbands.
SEEL At Home
Associate the uppercase letter Q and lowercase letter q with the /kw/ sound as in quail, quake, and quack.
- Action cards
Activity: Quails Go Quickly
- Make quail headbands by attaching feathers to a strip of paper stapled into a circle.
- Make a Queen Quail name tag, point out the letter Q, and emphasize that it makes the /kw/ sound.
- Wear the Queen Quail name tag and have your child wear the quail headband.
- Choose an action card, read it, and say (for example), "Queen Quail says quick!"
- Have your child follow you as you act out the word.
- Keep playing until all of the action cards have been used.
- Play again, but switch roles.
- Have your child underline the letter Q on the action cards and the letter Q on the Queen Quail name tag.
- Emphasize that the letter Q makes the /kw/ sound.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.