Associate the letter S with the /s/ sound as in snowman, sit, and skip.
- Tray with pretend snow (e.g., sand, rice, confetti, salt, cotton balls)
- Silly Snowman graphic*
- Writing practice page*
- Book: Snowmen All Year by Caralyn and Mark Buehner (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will make silly snowmen slip and slide in the snow and say the /s/ sound when they see the letter S in words such as snowman, skip, silly, and stand.
Slide snowmen on snow
- Write the letters S and s on the whiteboard and explain that the letter S makes the /s/ sound as in snowman.
- Read the book Snowmen All Year to the children (optional).
- Give the children a silly snowman and have them write the letter S on the snowman.
- Place a tray with pretend snow (e.g., sand, rice, confetti, salt, cotton balls) at each table or group of children.
- Show and allow the children to use their snowmen to slip, slide, skip, and other /s/ activities in the pretend snow.
- Have the children make the /s/ sound as they move their snowmen through the snow.
Read words with the target letter
- Help the children make a list of snowman actions that begin with the letter S (e.g., slide, slip, skip, stand, sit, sway, swim).
- Have the children underline the letter S and emphasize the /s/ sound as they read each word aloud.
- Let the children take turns pointing to and reading one of the action words for the other children to act out.
Write the target letter
- Help the children write the S on the writing practice page.
- Have the children produce the /s/ sound while writing the letter S.
- Allow the children to draw a picture of a silly snowman in the space below the letters.
- Let the children fill in the blank in the following sentence with action words from the list above:
- Snowmen can ___ in the snow.
- Read the sentence together each time you fill in the blank with a new word (support as needed).
SEEL At Home
Associate the letter S with the /s/ sound as in snowman, skip, and swim.
- Action word cards
- Snowman graphic
- Tray containing pretend snow (e.g., sand, salt, rice)
Activity: Silly Snowman
- Help your child choose a name for the snowman that starts with the letter S, then write the name on the snowman.
- Take turns flipping over an action word card and help your child read it to find out what to do with the snowmen.
- Allow your child to make the snowman do the action in the pretend snow.
- Make up a story together about a snowman that likes to do actions that start with the letter S.
- Help your child write a sentence about what the silly snowman likes to do (e.g., Sam the silly snowman likes to slide in the snow).
- Let your child trace the letter S and make the /s/ sound each time they see an S in the sentence.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.