Show and Share
Associate the letters sh with the /sh/ sound (e.g., shape, show, shell).
- Modeling clay or play doh
- Picture cards (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will make shapes with clay, and they will practice writing the letters sh and saying the /sh/ sound: share, show, shape.
Practice the skill within an activity
Show and share
- Give the children some modeling clay or play doh.
- Show the children the picture cards and help the children read the word on each card.
- Have the children underline the letters sh in the word on each card and emphasize that the words all start with the /sh/ sound.
- Let the children make the letters S and H using their clay or dough. Have them place the letters next to each other and say the /sh/ sound.
- Have the children choose a picture card, then let them use their clay to make a shape representing the picture on the card (i.e., form the clay to look like a shark, shell, shirt, ship, shoe, shovel, sheep or shop).
- Emphasize the /sh/ sound at the beginning of the word on each picture card (e.g., /sh/ - /sh/ - shark).
- Have a Show and Share (like Show and Tell) and allow the children to hold up their shape and tell everyone what it is.
- Repeat as many times as desired, giving the children a chance to mold several different shapes.
Apply the skill
Read and write the target letter
- Write a list of the things that the children shaped with clay. Have children write the initial letters, sh.
- Give the children a pencil and paper and help them make a class Show and Share book.
- Have the children write a sentence (or copy a modeled sentence) about a shape they made with clay (e.g., “I shaped a ship to show and share.”)
- Support when necessary, allowing the children to write the letters sh when they occur in the sentence.
- Have the children draw a picture of the item named in the sentence.
- Compile the pages into a book and put it in a classroom library.
SEEL At Home
Associate the letters sh with the /sh/ sound: shop, shirt, sheep.
- Go Shop game cards (see below) cut out and shuffled
Activity: Show and Share
- Deal four cards for each player and place the remaining cards in the middle.
- Look for matches by asking each other, "Will you share a ____ with me?"
- If the other person has the card, say, "Yes, I will share a ____ with you," pass the card over, and place the match on the table.
- If the other person doesn't have the card, say, "Go shop!" and have the player draw a card from the pile.
- When one person runs out of cards, the game is over. Whoever has the most matches wins!
- Review the pictures and read the words on the cards together. Emphasize the /sh/ sound at the beginning of each word (e.g., /sh/ - /sh/ - shark).
- Help your child write a list of the words he/she won during the game. Invite your child to write the letters sh then provide support as needed for writing the other letters in the word.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Show and Share