Associate the letter X (and the lowercase letter x) with the /ks/ sound (e.g., X-ray, box, t-rex).
- Hopscotch grid and small box to toss on the grid
- Letter X pictures to use as X-rays (see below)
- Letter cards (see below)
- Real X-ray picture (optional)
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will pretend to do X-rays of different things as they practice writing the letter X and saying the /ks/ sound such as T-rex, fox, and ax. Explain that an X-ray is a picture that doctors take of a person’s bones.
Practice the skill within an activity
Examine the room for Xs
- Hide X pictures (see below) around the room.
- Have the children examine the room to find an X.
- Tell the children to say, “I found an X! X says /ks/” when they find an X.
- Hold up the X-ray pictures (see below) one at a time.
- Have the children try to guess the image behind the X.
- When a child guesses correctly, write the word on the board.
- Have the children point to the X in the word and say the /ks/ sound.
- Let the children use letter cards (see below) to make words from the activity that have the letter X.
Apply the skill (choose from the following)
- Create a hopscotch game by drawing a hopscotch grid on a large piece of paper or by placing smaller sheets together.
- Invite children to fill each square by writing an X.
- Drop a small box onto the hopscotch grid.
- Don’t hop on the square where the box lands.
- Have the children say the /ks/ sound as they hop from square to square.
Write the target letter
- Have the children draw a picture of one of the X-ray images and cut it out to make their own X-ray.
- Have the children write the letter X all over their X-ray image.
SEEL At Home
Associate the letter X with the /ks/ sound (e.g., X-ray, box, ax).
- X pictures to use as X-rays (see below)
- Pretend to take X-rays of the X pictures by shining a flashlight against the wall and putting the X pictures in front of the light.
- Have your child draw picture of an object from the activity to make his/her own X-ray.
- Have your child write the letter X all over the X-ray.
- Write "An X-ray of a(n) ___" at the bottom of the picture.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.