Associate the uppercase letter X and lowercase letter x with the /ks/ sound as in X-ray, box, and t-rex.
- Masking tape
- Small box
- Letter X pictures
- Letter cards
- Real X-ray picture (optional)
The children will pretend to take X-rays of different items and then practice writing the letter X and saying the /ks/ sound in words such as t-rex, fox, and ax.
- Turn off the lights.
- Explain that the children will be examining x-rays.
- Shine a flashlight through the back of the picture and have the children try to guess the image behind the X.
- When a child guesses correctly, have him or her say, “An x-ray of a(n) ___!”
- Write the name of the image on the board and have the children point to the X in the word and say the /ks/ sound.
- Have the children use the letter cards to form the words from the activity.
- Create a hopscotch grid on the floor using masking tape.
- Have the children help form a letter X out of tape for each square of the grid.
- Drop a small box somewhere on the hopscotch grid.
- Instruct the children to hop along the hopscotch grid, avoiding the square where the box landed.
- Have the children say the /ks/ sound as they hop from square to square.
Write the target letter
- Have the children draw a picture of one of the X-ray images and cut it out to make their own X-ray.
- Have the children write the letter X all over their X-ray image.
SEEL At Home
Associate the uppercase letter X and lowercase letter x with the /ks/ sound as in X-ray, box, and ax.
- X pictures
- Pretend to take X-rays of the X pictures.
- Have your child shine a flashlight against a wall.
- Hold up the X pictures in front of the light one by one.
- As you present each photo, have your child guess each animal that is shown on the X picture.
- After he or she guesses the animal, say “We took an X-ray of a(n) ___!”
- Have your child draw a picture of an animal to make his or her own X-ray.
- Have your child write the letter X all over the X-ray.
- Write, "An X-ray of a(n) ___" at the bottom of the picture.
- Repeat the activity as desired.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.