Associate the letter Z (and lowercase letter z) with the /z/ sound (e.g., zip, zoom, zebra).
- Zebra picture cards (see below)
- Word cards (see below)
- Zooming Zebras text (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will pretend to be zooming zebras and they will practice saying the /z/ sound in words with the letter Z such as zig, zoom, and zebra.
Practice the skill within an activity
Zip and zoom like zebras
- Read the word cards (see below) with the children and help them choose actions for each card (e.g., for the word zoom the children could move their zebra picture very quickly through the air).
- Give the children a zebra picture card (see below) and tell them they will act out the words while they pretend to be zebras.
- Let the children choose a word card and help them read the word on the card.
- Allow the children to pretend to be zebras while they act out the word.
- Have the children say the /z/ sound as they do the action.
- Instruct the children to circle the letter z on each word card and ask them to produce the /z/ sound each time they circle a letter.
Apply the skill
Identify and write the target letter
- Read Zooming Zebras (see below) with the children.
- Ask the children to find and circle the letter Z throughout the text.
- Help the children write the letter Z.
- Read the text again slowly and have the children hold up their letter Z each time they hear the /z/ sound.
Identify the target sound in words
- Make a list of the words beginning with the letter Z (i.e., zip, zap, zoo, zig, zag).
- Help the children identify the beginning and rhyme ending sounds of each word on the list by tapping their head for the beginning sound of the word and toes for the rest of the word (e.g. zip = /z/ tap head and /ip/ tap toes).
- Point out that all of the words have the /z/ sound at the beginning of the word and start with the letter Z.
SEEL Target Texts
We are zebras. We like to zig.
We are zebras. We like to zag.
We are zebras. We like to zip.
Zooming zebras zig, zag, zip!
SEEL At Home
Associate the letter Z with the /z/ sound (e.g., zebra, zoom, zap).
- Zebra pictures (see below)
- Word cards (see below)
Activity: Zebras Zoom
- Read the word cards together, emphasizing the /z/ sound at the beginning of each word.
- Decide on actions to represent the word on each card: zag, zig, zing, zip, and zoom (e.g., for zoom move the zebra picture quickly through the air).
- Place the action word cards face down and take turns choosing one.
- Read the action word cards (support your child as necessary) and do the actions together using the zebra picture cards (see below).
- Have your child write the letter Z on a piece of paper then have him/her use the Z to act out the actions on the word cards.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.