Associate the letter Z (and the lowercase letter z) with the /z/ sound (e.g., zoom, zip, zebra).
- Large zebra graphic
- 1/2” x 2” strips of black paper
- Z Zebra Zoo sign
- Small zebra graphics
- Zed the Zebra by An Vrombaut (Hodder and Stoughton, Ltd., 2008) (optional)
Tell the children they will pretend to see zebras at the zoo and they will practice saying the /z/ sound in words that start with the letter Z such as zip, zebra, and zoo.
- Read Zed the Zebra by An Vrombaut (optional) and have the children listen for the words in the story that start with the /z/ sound.
- Write the word zebra on the whiteboard and explain that zebra starts with the letter Z which makes the /z/ sound.
- Point out that the letter Z is kind of like a zigzag.
- Show the children the large zebra graphic and explain that the zebra needs zigzag stripes.
- Help the children tape or glue strips of black paper (cut to 1/2” X 2”) on the zebra in the shape of the letter Z to make zigzag stripes.
- Read the words on the Z Zebra Zoo sign to the children.
- Have the children circle the letter Z in each word on the sign and ask them to say the /z/ sound each time they circle a letter.
- Place the zebra graphic near the zoo sign.
- Let the children pretend to watch the zebra at the zoo.
Write the target letter
- Give the children a small zebra picture.
- Help the children write the letter Z on the zebras to make zigzag stripes.
- Allow the children to place the smaller zebras with the large zebra in the pretend zoo.
SEEL At Home
Associate the letter Z with the /z/ sound (e.g., zoom, zoo, zebra).
- Zebra picture
- Z Zebra Zoo sign
Activity: Zigzag Zebra
- Show your child the small zebra graphic and have him/her circle the letter Z in the word zebra.
- Emphasize that the letter Z makes the /z/ sound.
- Help your child write the letter Z on the zebra graphic to make zigzag stripes.
- Have your child find and circle the letter Z in the Z Zebra Zoo sign and ask him/her to say the /z/ sound each time he/she circles a letter.
- Let your child place his/her zebra by the zoo sign.
- Pretend to watch the zebra at the zoo with your child.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.