Associate the letter Z (and the lowercase letter z) with the /z/ sound (e.g., zoom, zip, zebra).
- Large zebra graphic (see below)
- 1/2” x 2” strips of black paper
- Z Zebra Zoo sign
- Small zebra graphics (see below)
- Zed the Zebra by An Vrombaut (Hodder and Stoughton, Ltd., 2008) (optional)
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will pretend to see zebras at the zoo and they will practice saying the /z/ sound in words that start with the letter Z such as zip, zebra, and zoo.
Practice the skill within an activity
- Read Zed the Zebra by An Vrombaut (optional) and have the children listen for the words in the story that start with the /z/ sound.
- Write the word zebra on the whiteboard and explain that zebra starts with the letter Z which makes the /z/ sound.
- Point out that the letter Z is kind of like a zigzag.
- Show the children the large zebra graphic (see below) and explain that the zebra needs zigzag stripes.
- Help the children tape or glue strips of black paper (cut to 1/2” X 2”) on the zebra in the shape of the letter Z to make zigzag stripes.
- Read the words on the Z Zebra Zoo sign to the children.
- Have the children circle the letter Z in each word on the sign and ask them to say the /z/ sound each time they circle a letter.
- Place the zebra graphic near the zoo sign.
- Let the children pretend to watch the zebra at the zoo.
Apply the skill
Write the target letter
- Give the children a small zebra picture (see below).
- Help the children write the letter Z on the zebras to make zigzag stripes.
- Allow the children to place the smaller zebras with the large zebra in the pretend zoo.
SEEL At Home
Associate the letter Z with the /z/ sound (e.g., zoom, zoo, zebra).
- Zebra picture (see below)
- Z Zebra Zoo sign (see below)
Activity: Zigzag Zebra
- Show your child the small zebra graphic (see below) and have him/her circle the letter Z in the word zebra.
- Emphasize that the letter Z makes the /z/ sound.
- Help your child write the letter Z on the zebra graphic to make zigzag stripes.
- Have your child find and circle the letter Z in the Z Zebra Zoo sign (see below) and ask him/her to say the /z/ sound each time he/she circles a letter.
- Let your child place his/her zebra by the zoo sign.
- Pretend to watch the zebra at the zoo with your child.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.