Associate the letter Z with the /z/ sound as in zoom, zip, and zebra.
- Large zebra graphic
- Small zebra graphics
- Strips of black paper
- Z Zebra Zoo sign
- Book: Zed the Zebra by An Vrombaut (Hodder and Stoughton, Ltd., 2008) (optional)
The children will pretend to see zebras at the zoo and then practice saying the /z/ sound in words that start with the letter Z such as zip, zebra, and zoo.
- Read Zed the Zebra by An Vrombaut and have the children listen for words in the story that start with the /z/ sound (optional).
- Write the word zebra on the whiteboard and explain that zebra starts with the letter Z, which makes the /z/ sound.
- Point out that the letter Z looks like a zigzag.
- Show the children the large zebra graphic and explain that the zebra needs zigzag stripes.
- Help the children tape or glue strips of black paper on the zebra in the shape of the letter Z to make zigzag stripes.
- Read the words on the Z Zebra Zoo sign to the children.
- Have the children circle the letter Z in each word on the sign and ask them to say the /z/ sound each time they circle a letter.
Write the target letter
- Explain to the children that the big zebra would like to have more friends with him the zoo.
- Give each child a small zebra picture.
- Help the children write the letter Z on the zebras to make zigzag stripes.
- Allow the children to place the smaller zebras with the large zebra in the pretend zoo.
SEEL At Home
Associate the letter Z with the /z/ sound as in zoom, zoo, and zebra.
- Zebra graphic
- Z Zebra Zoo sign
Activity: Zigzag Zebra
- Show your child the zebra graphic and have him or her circle the letter Z in the word zebra.
- Emphasize that the letter Z makes the /z/ sound.
- Help your child write the letter Z on the zebra graphic to make zigzag stripes.
- Have your child circle the letter Z in the Z Zebra Zoo sign and ask him or her to say the /z/ sound each time he or she circles a letter.
- Let your child place his or her zebra by the zoo sign.
- Pretend to watch the zebra at the zoo with your child.
- Repeat the activity as desired.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.