Pick the Stick
Blend a beginning consonant or consonant blend with -ick to make words such as stick, pick, and kick.
- Craft sticks
- Picture cards
- Letter cards
- Pick the Stick target text
The children will pick a stick and act like a chick as they add sounds to the -ick ending to make words such as chick, stick, and pick.
Pick a stick
- Attach the -ick picture cards to craft sticks
- With the children, go through each of the -ick picture cards and decide how they can act out each card.
- One-by-one, have the children pick a stick one-by-one while everyone chants, "Pick a stick! Pick a stick!"
- Let the children perform the action that goes with the -ick picture on the stick that was drawn.
- Repeat until every child has had a turn to pick a stick.
Pass the stick
- Have the children sit in a circle and take turns passing a craft stick labeled with -ick.
- As the children get the stick, have them place a letter card in front of the -ick ending on the stick then have them blend the sounds together to read the word.
- Write each new word on the board: lick, chick, kick, sick, wick, pick, quick, stick.
Read target words in a text
- Read the Pick the Stick target text together as a class/group.
- Read the text again fading support.
- Have the children underline the words that end in -ick.
Segment -ick words into their sounds and blend sounds into words
- Have the children march to each sound in the word pick.
- Produce the sound /p/ (march right), produce /i/ (march left), produce /k/ (march right)
- Bring both feet together as you blend the sounds to say "pick!"
- Repeat with other -ick words: lick, chick, kick, sick, wick
Write about the activity using target words
- Give each child a paper and pencil and have the children write words from dictation
- lick → click → pick → pack → pan → tan → tack → tick → lick.
SEEL Target Texts
Pick the Stick!
We each got to pick a stick.
One stick had a chick.
One stick had a brick.
One stick had a wick.
Was it a quick pick?
We liked to pick the stick with a chick.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.D: Distinguish between similarly spelled words by identifying the sounds of the letters that differ.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.C: Blend and segment onsets and rimes of single-syllable spoken words.
Pick the Stick