a band that blends
Use initial L-blends to build and spell words.
- Six envelopes
- Envelope activity cards*
- Word-building cards*
*Items included below.
Make a band that blends sounds
- Print one set of the envelope activity cards (see below) and divide them into six envelopes with one word in each envelope.
- Tell the children that musical sounds blend together to create a song.
- Illustrate how initial l blends (e.g., cl, pl) can combine with word endings (e.g., -ap, -ang, -uck, -ing, -unk) to make musical words.
- Divide the children into six groups and give each group an envelope.
- Switch envelopes and allow the children to create a different musical word.
Write a L blend rhythm
- Write a rhythm on the board and have the children clap out the rhythm as they read the words. For example,
- Clang, clang — clap, clap — plink, plink — plunk
- Clank, clank, clank — pluck — pling, pling — clank
- Pling, pling, pling — clang, clang, clang — pling — plunk
- Plunk, plunk — pling, pling — plunk, plunk
- Display a word wall with words that represent musical sounds: plunk, pling, clang, clink, clunk, clank, clap, plink, click, and clack.
- Let the children rely on the word wall to write their own musical rhythms and then chant a few together.
Blend and build words
- Show the children more initial L blends (e.g., cl, pl, sl, fl, gl) and word endings (e.g., -an, -ad, -ack, -ing) by using the word-building cards (see below).
- Display L blend cards on the left and word endings on the right side of a whiteboard or table.
- Let the children put a beginning blend card with a word ending card, read the separate sounds, then blend them into a word (support as needed).
- Repeat until all of the word-building cards have been used.
- Have the children write the words they made and then read them to each other.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.D: Distinguish between similarly spelled words by identifying the sounds of the letters that differ.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.C: Blend and segment onsets and rimes of single-syllable spoken words.
A Band That Blends