Banana Split Kit
- Banana Split Kit graphics
- Small container
- A whiteboard or poster board
- Word blending cards
- Banana Split Kit Recipe target text
The children will use a kit to create a banana split as they add sounds to the -it ending to make words such as kit, bit, split, and sit.
Make a banana split
- Cut out the Banana Split Kit graphics and place them in a "kit" container at the front of the room.
- Pre-assemble one completed banana split kit and display it somewhere near the kit for the children to reference throughout the activity.
- Tell the children that they will be building their own banana split by taping each of the ingredients from the banana split kit on the whiteboard (or a posterboard).
- Read the Banana Split Kit Recipe with the children and have them place the individual pieces on the board according to the directions.
- Emphasize the -it words in the recipe.
Identify, blend and manipulate sounds
- Have children blend individual sounds into words by tapping their head (beginning sound) and toes (-it sound) then clap to say the whole word.
- b it = bit
- s it = sit
- f it = fit
- k it = kit
- With word blending cards, have the children make new words by changing the vowel or either of the consonants:
- Change the beginning sound: bit → sit; sit → fit; fit → kit
- Change the ending sound: bit → big; sit → sip; kit → kid
- Change the middle sound: bit → bat; sit → set; fit → fat
- Once the children feel comfortable with the blending, invite them to write an -it word on their ice cream scoops, with one letter on each scoop.
Read target words in a text
- Read the Banana Split Kit Recipe target text together as a group.
- Read the text again fading support.
- Have the children underline the words that end in -it.
SEEL Target Texts
Banana Split Recipe
- Split the banana and put it in a dish.
- Scoop a bit of ice cream on top of it. .
- Put a bit of fudge on it.
- Whip a bit of cream to put on top.
- Fit a cherry on it.
- Now you can quit, and sit, and eat your split!
- What a yummy kit for making a banana split!
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Banana Split Kit