Hop Hop Stop
- Action cards*
- Stop sign*
- Word blending cards*
- Name tags*
- We Got to Hop target text*
*Items included below
State and Model the Objective
The children will play a game called "Hop, Hop, Stop!" as they add sounds to the -op ending to make words such as hop, pop, top, and stop.
Play "Hop, Hop, Stop!"
- Read the words on each of the action cards and the stop sign to the children, emphasizing the process of blending the beginning sound(s) with the -op ending as you read each word.
- Choose a child to pick an action card and another child to hold the stop sign at the front of the class.
- Have the child read the action card (support as needed) and then invite the other children to do the action as described below:
- pretend to mop the floor
- flop their arms
- bop their head up and down
- drop to the floor
- hop on one foot
- pretend to do karate chops
- Have all of the children perform that action until the child holding the stop sign holds it up and yells, "stop!"
- Repeat the activity, letting all of the children take turns picking action cards and holding the stop sign.
Read target words in a text
- Read the We Got to Hop target text together as a class.
- Read the text again fading support.
- Have the children underline the words that end in -op.
Blend, segment, and spell
- Have half the children wear name tags with a letter and half the children wear the name tags with the -op ending.
- Give them time to find a partner to make a complete word.
- Have each pair present the word they created.
- Repeat the activity.
Write about the activity using target words
- Give each child a whiteboard and have them write words from dictation, changing the beginning letter(s) each time to make a new word
- mop → bop → hop → top → flop → drop → chop → stop
SEEL Target Texts
We Can Hop
We can bop, bop, bop.
We can chop, chop, chop.
We can flop, flop, flop.
We can pop, pop, pop.
Now we can drop!
SEEL At Home
Blend a beginning consonant or consonant blend with -op to make words such as hop, stop, mop, and drop.
- Action cards
- Stop sign
Activity: Hop, Hop, Stop!
- Let your child choose an action card and help him or her read the word on the card.
- Emphasize the process of blending the beginning sound(s) with the -op ending to read the word.
- Perform the action together several times then hold up the stop sign.
- Repeat the activity, taking turns choosing an action and holding up the stop sign.
- Help your child write one or two sentences about the -op things he or she did (e.g., I did a karate chop. I got to hop. I like to bop. I had to stop.).
- Have your child underline the -op words in each sentence and circle the letters that come before the -op.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.D: Distinguish between similarly spelled words by identifying the sounds of the letters that differ.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.C: Blend and segment onsets and rimes of single-syllable spoken words.
Hop Hop Stop