- 3-4 containers of bubbles
- Action cards
- Word blending cards
- Large sign that says, "Pop Shop"
- Hop to the Shop target text
- Shop at the Popcorn Shop target text
The children will pop bubbles in a pop shop as they add sounds to the -op ending to make words such as flop, pop, shop, and chop.
Pop Bubbles in the Shop
- Place the "Pop Shop" sign in one section of the room with the bubbles.
- Select a few children to blow bubbles in the Pop Shop, and have the rest of the children sit at the opposite end of the room.
- Choose one of the action cards and have the children help you read the word.
- Have a few children go to the Pop Shop doing/pretending to do the action.
- When the child doing the action gets to the Pop Shop, have the children in the Pop Shop start blowing bubbles allowing the other children try to pop as many bubbles as they can.
- Have the bubble blowers hop back and the hoppers be the bubble blowers.
- Repeat the activity until all of the children have had a turn, emphasizing the process of blending the beginning sound with the -op ending to read each new word card (e.g., /h/ + /op/ = hop).
Identify, blend and manipulate sounds
- With word blending cards, have the children make new words by changing the vowel or either of the consonants:
- Change the beginning sound: bop → mop; pop → cop; hop → top
- Change the ending sound: bop → bog; pop → pot; top → tot
- Change the middle sound: top → tap; hop → hip; mop → map
Read target words in a text
- Read the Hop to the Shop target text together.
- Have the children underline the words that end in -op.
- Read the text again fading support.
- Have the children help you make a list of all of the -op words in the text.
- Emphasize the process of blending beginning sounds with the -op ending to spell each new word (e.g., /p/ + /op/ = pop).
- Repeat with the Shop at the Popcorn Shop target text (optional).
SEEL Target Texts
Shop at the Popcorn Shop
Pop the popcorn.
Drop the popcorn in the top of the popper.
See the popcorn hop and pop.
See the popper stop.
Drop the popcorn in your mouth.
Now get the soda pop.
Drip drop, slip slop.
Mop the pop!
Hop to the Shop
Hop, hop, hop.
Hop to the shop.
Shop at the shop.
Shop for a mop.
Shop for a top.
Shop for some pop.
Did you drop the pop?
Did you drop the pop at the shop?
Mop the pop at the shop.
Mop, mop, mop.
Now you can stop!
SEEL At Home
Blend a beginning consonant or consonant blend with -op to make words such as hop, shop, and pop.
- Pop Shop sign
- Action cards
Activity: The Pop Shop
- Stand on one side of the room with the Pop Shop sign and the bubbles.
- Have your child stand on the other side of the room and choose an action card.
- Help your child read the action card out loud.
- Let your child perform the action on the way to the shop, and blow bubbles while your child tries to pop as many bubbles as possible.
- Repeat as many times as desired, alternating roles.
- Help your child make a list of all of the -op words from the activity.
- Emphasize the process of blending beginning sounds with the -op ending to spell each new word (e.g., p + op = pop).
- The activity can be repeated several times.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.